Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot From Old Drive In Newer Mac Pro

I have a 2006 Mac Pro running Snow Leopard on one HD. I am currently using a 2010 Mac Pro with it's own, different HD. Can I put the HD from the 2006 Mac Pro into the 2010 Mac Pro, press Option when booting and boot the old system on the newer Mac Pro? Then go back to the newer HD with a reboot? Would this harm my 2010 Mac Pro? It would save me a lot of trouble going from computer to computer to work on projects. The old one also has some licenses for programs I no longer use on the new computer, but I need to use them to finish the old projects.

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Feb 6, 2018 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2018 6:19 PM

You can put the Snow Leopard drive in the 2010 Mac Pro and boot from it. It will work very well. Note that you will need to remove the Snow Leopard drive from its current 2006 drive sled and install it in a drive sled from the 2010 Mac Pro. Not sure why this isn’t recommended, according to a kaz-k. I have run Snow Leopard on my 2010 Mac Pro since I got it. The caveat might be security: you should avoid using the older browsers that work with Snow Leopard.

Contrary to what was stated, I can assure everyone from my own personal experience that you CAN install Snow Leopard on a 2010 Mac Pro using the retail Snow Leopard DVD.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2018 6:19 PM in response to Mallardduckman

You can put the Snow Leopard drive in the 2010 Mac Pro and boot from it. It will work very well. Note that you will need to remove the Snow Leopard drive from its current 2006 drive sled and install it in a drive sled from the 2010 Mac Pro. Not sure why this isn’t recommended, according to a kaz-k. I have run Snow Leopard on my 2010 Mac Pro since I got it. The caveat might be security: you should avoid using the older browsers that work with Snow Leopard.

Contrary to what was stated, I can assure everyone from my own personal experience that you CAN install Snow Leopard on a 2010 Mac Pro using the retail Snow Leopard DVD.

Feb 7, 2018 10:13 PM in response to Mallardduckman

The 2010 Mac Pro came with Snow Leopard (10.6.4 in fact) which is one of the macOSes I recommend.

Sierra is the other and the Mac Pro will be happy running that.

I'd be wary though of using a drive that has been setup for one model Mac in another. Apple may well have tailored the installation to the hardware at the point of installation.

Cant hurt to try it however as an external drive using the option boot method to switch and see what happens.

Peter

Feb 8, 2018 11:01 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I don’t think there is any reason to be concerned about moving drives between Mac Pro models. I moved two drives from my 2010 Mac Pro into my 2006 Mac Pro after I had replaced them in the 2010 with bigger drives. They work perfectly. Both were Snow Leopard systems, one of which has since been ”upgraded” to Lion in the 2006 machine. No issues as long as you use the appropriate drive sled.

Feb 8, 2018 11:37 AM in response to Mallardduckman

The only restriction is when you use a MacOS image that "shipped in the box" with a new Mac (even after software update). It ONLY contains drivers for that model Mac.

Any "Purchased" version contains "Drivers for every appropriate model Mac" and as long as that version is as new as the minimum required for the second Mac, it should work fine.

Feb 12, 2018 6:18 PM in response to Mallardduckman

Thanks for the replies all. I tried it, and it works great! I can run Sierra on one drive and Snow Leopard on another, no problem. The only issue was some of my third party licenses for audio plugins had to be re-registered when I moved the drive over. When I'd open a project they would say, "your hardware has changed, please register". I have a lot so that took some time, but overall a success.

Feb 13, 2018 7:44 AM in response to Mallardduckman

Yeah, software licenses can be a problem, especially if the license limits use to one machine. (I avoid software that is that restrictive.) Ideally, you’d deactivate those apps/licenses on the old machine before transferring the drive to the new machine. Glad it all worked.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you are running Snow Leopard, you won’t see the Sierra drive in your Startup Disk preference panel in System Prefs. You will need to restart with the option key pressed, to bring up the list of bootable drives.

A further advantage to running those two OS versions is that you can use Snow Leopard’s Disk Utility to format hard drives. Yet another reason that I still have Snow Leopard installed.

Boot From Old Drive In Newer Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.