Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I update my apps?

I am now using my moms iPhone and signed off from her iTunes to mines but when it comes to updating apps it’s asking for my moms iTunes password and not mines? When I did put hers in it’s asking for a verification code? Can you please help me understand what’s going on?

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 5:59 PM

Apps are forever tied to th Apple ID that was used to download them. In your case it's your mum's Apple ID.

If your mum has 2 factor authentication, a verification code will be send to her phone and must be used.

Now wind back.

If you are using your mum's iPhone.

First make it yours: What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

After that setup the iPhone using your own Apple ID.

If your mum want to share her books, apps and music purchases, she should setup see below:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2018 5:59 PM in response to sissy119

Apps are forever tied to th Apple ID that was used to download them. In your case it's your mum's Apple ID.

If your mum has 2 factor authentication, a verification code will be send to her phone and must be used.

Now wind back.

If you are using your mum's iPhone.

First make it yours: What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

After that setup the iPhone using your own Apple ID.

If your mum want to share her books, apps and music purchases, she should setup see below:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Why can’t I update my apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.