Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full HardDrive, unable to log in

Hi

I uncompressed a huge directory that filled my HD and now I am unable to log in. I have tried all possible ways to log in and nothing works. Using single-user mode I can login but the `dir` I want to remove is `read-only`. I have not been able to make that dir read-write. Any ideas?

When I log in in single-user mode, my prompt keeps printing:

CoreStorageGroup::handleOpen(<ptr>) called, client <ptr>, access 3...

When I can finally type, I have tried

/sbin/fsck -fy

and it seems the HD is fine, no errors, no faults, nothing. When I type

/sbin/mount -uw /

nothing changes. I just need to `rm` the huge `dir` that is causing the memory issue. Is there any way to make read-write a directory while in single-user mode??

I am using an iMac (late 2016), MacOS 10.13.3 High Sierra

Thanks,

md

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 8:42 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 7, 2018 8:57 PM in response to MalusDomestica

Try something simple first: boot Safe Mode and determine if you can log in. Safe Mode deletes certain cache files maintained by the system which may create enough space for it to work.

No response is normal with that mount -uw / command.

The directory you’re attempting to delete may be protected by SIP. Try deleting individual files within it, or elsewhere. Try temporarily disabling SIP.

Feb 8, 2018 8:05 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately this did not help either because I was not able to log in Safe-mode either (i should have mentioned that earlier); that's why I was logging in single-user mode.

But, I got it fixed today! After logging in single-user mode, I removed the AppleSetup file, rebooted, created a new temporary admin user, logged in, cleaned up conflicting files, logged out, logged back in as original admin, removed temporary admin user. A bit cumbersome, but it worked great.

In single-user mode Apple protects most files to avoid issues with OS.

Full HardDrive, unable to log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.