Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"An unknown error occurred" when signing into iCloud Drive

I recently installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 on my MacBook Pro 2016 (8GB and 2.9 GHz) and now Mail, Messages, and Facetime (what I found so far) can not access my contacts or accounts. In fact when I try to use Facetime or Messages none of my contacts names show up and the same of my history. I attempt to put in my password for all of my internet accounts through System Preferences and it just buffers. When I try to sign into iCloud Drive I get "an unknown error occurred." I have tried numerous times in both areas and get the same results. I know that I am putting in the correct passwords as I have typed them in and even tried to copy paste, but with no success. Any advice?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 4:43 AM

I had the same issue for signing into iCloud drive and fixed it as follows: In your user folder, go to

~/Library/Keychains/
(hold down the "option" key when clicking in the "Go to" menu to show the Library folder). In that folder, there are the regular keychains, plus some folders with monstrously long names like
F2555809-AAC0-5CFA-BEF6-57BB56345BIUR
or some such.

I deleted those folders only.

After a restart, my email accounts and everything else had been logged out and the system requested a log-in password to my Apple ID. I was able to re-enter it, and since then, all iCloud services have worked fine

Note: I followed this answer from another forum (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/305847/icloud-connection-after-upgrade -to-high-sierra)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2018 4:43 AM in response to Modz

I had the same issue for signing into iCloud drive and fixed it as follows: In your user folder, go to

~/Library/Keychains/
(hold down the "option" key when clicking in the "Go to" menu to show the Library folder). In that folder, there are the regular keychains, plus some folders with monstrously long names like
F2555809-AAC0-5CFA-BEF6-57BB56345BIUR
or some such.

I deleted those folders only.

After a restart, my email accounts and everything else had been logged out and the system requested a log-in password to my Apple ID. I was able to re-enter it, and since then, all iCloud services have worked fine

Note: I followed this answer from another forum (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/305847/icloud-connection-after-upgrade -to-high-sierra)

"An unknown error occurred" when signing into iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.