Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Connecting to iCloud

Hello

I have a 2016 macbook pro running Sierra 10.12.6

The following pathway is not working for me: System Settings > iCloud > Account Details > enter @mac. com password.

I am getting an error message "Account Details could not be opened because of an error connecting to iCloud."

I also often get an error message while I'm online, saying "Could not connect to iCloud"

This is despite me being connected to the internet, despite iCloud System Settings saying I am logged in and despite me definitely using the correct @mac.com iCloud password as I am able to log in to my iCloud account via the iCloud website.

Not sure what the issue is.

Can anyone please help ?

TIA

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 7:05 AM

One or more of he Apple trust certificates have most likely expired. go here Available trusted root certificates for Apple operating systems - Apple Support then pick the OS for your machine click on the certificates to download, I downloaded all of them to make certain I got the correct one, after downloading it, double click on the downloaded certificate and it will automatically install to the keychain app. The reason for this is Sierra 10.12.6 is no longer being updated and once the original certificates expire the machine will no longer connect to the Apple servers.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2022 7:05 AM in response to CoachMa

One or more of he Apple trust certificates have most likely expired. go here Available trusted root certificates for Apple operating systems - Apple Support then pick the OS for your machine click on the certificates to download, I downloaded all of them to make certain I got the correct one, after downloading it, double click on the downloaded certificate and it will automatically install to the keychain app. The reason for this is Sierra 10.12.6 is no longer being updated and once the original certificates expire the machine will no longer connect to the Apple servers.

Apr 8, 2022 10:53 PM in response to Janeway3000

Janeway3000 Said:

"Error Connecting to iCloud: [...]I am getting an error message 'Account Details could not be opened because of an error connecting to iCloud.' I also often get an error message while I'm online, saying 'Could not connect to iCloud' [...]Not sure what the issue is.[...]"

-------

Seems to be a Bug:

I have seen a few posts in regards to this just now. So, there may be an issue connecting to Apple's servers, on Apple's end. So, try this later on.

Apr 17, 2022 3:09 PM in response to Janeway3000

Solution found in another thread:

« hello,

downloading this certificate did solve the Problem for me.

https://www.apple.com/certificateauthority/AppleISTCA2G1.cer

[This is a Direct Download Link] »

Here too:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253816134

iCloud service was disabled for iOS10.3.3… - Apple Community

Some were simply answered by @Apple that their devices or OS’es were too old and not supported anymore. Glad that someone found a fix but I hope that somebody @Apple is reading the forums for the last week. High Sierra, Sierra and iOS 10 are all affected by this iCloud bug…

Error Connecting to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.