Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud login problem on Sierra, High Sierra? Try this.

My Notes weren't updating on my Macbook Air with High Sierra, so I logged out of iCloud to see if logging back in would fix it, only to find out that I couldn't log back in. Got all of the "Unknown" and "Not at this time, try later errors".

Short story, did all the things, but no success. iCloud is fine, other machines are fine, just not this one. Finally tried logging into iCloud on that machine with Safari and got a "Can't connect to iCloud Servers" error. Ruled out network problems and Firefox connected to iCloud just fine.

Turns out it was a certificate problem preventing this machine from connecting to iCloud. Following the advice in this thread fixed the problem and now iCloud is working correctly again. Download the Apple Intermediate Certificates as mentioned in the first post.

How I solved the Safari 13 and High Sierr… - Apple Community

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 1:11 PM

Similar questions

85 replies

May 20, 2022 11:57 PM in response to pedrocaiano

pedrocaiano wrote:

So the dreaded day has come, the certificate has expired (as announced previously) and I'm right back to where I started.
iCloud has stoped working again.

SOLUTION: Open Keychain Access, Double click on the Apple IST CA 2 - G1 Certificate, Expand Trust option, When using this certificate: Select "Always Trust".
Restart the Mac.
Done!

this doesn't work for me, for example "cloud drive" doesn't sync on my Macbook Pro with High Sierra !

I think we need a renewed certificate from here Apple PKI - Apple

Apr 10, 2022 5:37 PM in response to OldSchoolAdmin

I CANNOT thank you enough! 😀 My iCloud, iMessage especially on my older Mac running Sierra just simply stopped working out of the blue (iPhone, iPad, Watch was fine)

5 days of silly messages of "You can't sign in at this time" "Update password" prompts and "Change Password" - which I did 3 times. ALSO other sites stating deleting Accounts, SysPref, etc failed. This solved it!

Again, much much thanks!

Apr 13, 2022 8:14 AM in response to GilbertVK

Add me to the list of people having this same issue. For me, it started on Apr 7, and after trying lots of solutions in Apr 8, and spending three hours on the phone with Apple, it looked like it was fixed by a reinstall of Sierra and removing/rebuilding the Keychain folder contents and the com.apple.system.preferences.plist file. (Now I am not sure why that worked if it was a certificate issue.)

It was fine until yesterday, when I got my monthly Apple ID lockout (since 2020, my AppleID started to lock me out periodically. It went from once every few months to monthly to weekly, disappeared for a long time, and then came back last Fall, locking me out once a month again. Many people complained about this problem on this forum and concluded that it's a problem with Apple's servers and had no relationship to the OS, or if someone used 2FA). And then nothing worked this time until I posted my own question and a kind person referred me to this certificate solution.

My expiration also says May, so this may be another monthly task, along with the lockout, unless they are related, and that is why all of my devices - old and new, supported and not - are locked out. Maybe they all need to re-certify and now the Sierra laptop can't on it's own because of an Apple server bug.

Apr 15, 2022 5:30 PM in response to OldSchoolAdmin

THANK YOU! I was going nuts last few days. My 2009 MacBook Pro is running on MacOS 10.12. and was thinking if this iCloud thing doesn't resolve, then it's time get a new MacBook. however, I have old version of Photoshop and Lightroom that I have so much presets on. I just can't part with this almost 13 yrs told MacBook Pro yet! THANK You for everything and I hope the cert doesn't expire in a month or so.

iCloud login problem on Sierra, High Sierra? Try this.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.