Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to use my data to text someone who doesn’t use iMessage?

I’m in this group chat and one person doesn’t have an iPhone. When I’m using my WiFi I don’t get any text messages from the group chat, but when I turn it off and use my data I receive all the texts they have sent. How can I stop this and use my internet to text them instead of my data?

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 5:04 PM

You can't if one of the group participants does not have iMessage; then all of the messages must use SMS and MMS. MMS always uses cellular data, because it is a carrier service, and your carrier does not know about your Wi-Fi connection. If you leave cellular data on, and turn on use SMS in Settings/Messages it should work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2018 5:04 PM in response to Misaioana

You can't if one of the group participants does not have iMessage; then all of the messages must use SMS and MMS. MMS always uses cellular data, because it is a carrier service, and your carrier does not know about your Wi-Fi connection. If you leave cellular data on, and turn on use SMS in Settings/Messages it should work.

Why do I have to use my data to text someone who doesn’t use iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.