Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express slowness when extending existing network

Re: Airport Express SLOW Internet 2017

After upgrading to the latest Airport Express Firmware (7.7.9), the network speed became very slow (not usabel) intermittently when extending existing network.

After downgrading the firmware to 7.7.8, the issue went away.

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 6:41 PM

Not a big deal, but you did not upgrade to 7.7.9 or downgrade to 7.7.8 if you have an AirPort Express.

Check your AirPort Express to confirm that you upgraded to 7.6.9 and downgraded to 7.6.8.

If you find that you really did downgrade back to 7.7.8, then you have an AirPort Extreme....not an AirPort Express.

Finally, I cannot duplicate the issue that you are reporting. The Express works just as fast with the latest firmware as it did with the previous firmware. But, weird things do happen with firmware updates for some users.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2018 6:41 PM in response to CoastingClouds

Not a big deal, but you did not upgrade to 7.7.9 or downgrade to 7.7.8 if you have an AirPort Express.

Check your AirPort Express to confirm that you upgraded to 7.6.9 and downgraded to 7.6.8.

If you find that you really did downgrade back to 7.7.8, then you have an AirPort Extreme....not an AirPort Express.

Finally, I cannot duplicate the issue that you are reporting. The Express works just as fast with the latest firmware as it did with the previous firmware. But, weird things do happen with firmware updates for some users.

Feb 8, 2018 11:57 PM in response to CoastingClouds

My wifi is configured as Airport Extreme (802.11n, 5th Generation) , and extended with Apple Express (AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation)).

My wifi speed is about 90 Mbps via Airport Extreme.

The symptom was that in the morning my wifi via airport express would become not usable (speed test showed close to 0 speed), and it seemed like it was interfering the whole wifi network because I had to unplug it to make the whole wifi network work OK.

However, after I downgraded the Airport Express firmware from 7.6.9 to 7.6.8, the symptom went away, and the speed went up to 25-30Mbps via Apple Express.

Airport Express slowness when extending existing network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.