Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Home Sharing with HomePod

IMHO, this is a major fail on Apple's part. They've already taken enough flak in the tech press about how inadequate Siri is compared to the other AI devices. The ONLY reason I was considering purchase of a HomePod to replace the Amazon Echo in our kitchen was the ability to share my 7500-song Mac library with it and tell Siri to play whatever is in that library. About 60% of that library is from iTunes; the remainder are tracks that I ripped thru many hours/years of effort from my CD library, including many classical and jazz tracks. I just knew that, once I paired my Mac with the HomePod (similar to Apple TV), I would be able to tell Siri what track I wanted to hear from that entire library... sadly, that is obviously not the case. FWIW, some of the ripped tracks were done years ago with SoundJam MP, the original software that Apple bought to create iTunes. I built that library over years of use of Apple products, and am totally dismayed by the lack of Apple foresight/support of its long-term product users. I understand the business logic of tying Apple Music to the HomePod, but not allowing the flexibility to share existing libraries is unconscionable and takes the HomePod out of contention from use in this household. Sorry, guys, from this long-term Apple user's perspective, you blew it on this one.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 6:44 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 9, 2018 9:43 AM in response to M_Blanchard

Doesn't surprise me at all - they want us to be internet and cloud based for everything.

If I had a Home Pod I think I'd be disappointed by lack of Home Sharing as there's little reason they couldn't write an API for Siri to access the local iTunes library music list and play items as needed - this is also missing from AppleTV with Siri but at least you have a graphical interface on the TV to browse and play.

If you want to formally send feedback use this link:

Feedback - HomePod - Apple

Feb 15, 2018 5:11 PM in response to M_Blanchard

I'm in a similar boat. I tried Apple Music when it first came out, but was very dismayed when it messed up dozens of my playlists, deleting tracks, substituting with similar but similar versions, etc. (Just to be clear, Apple Music decimated my playlists, but did not delete the actual songs in my iTunes library, so it was possible for me to laboriously reconstruct my playlists after ending my trial.) Once burned, twice shy, so Apple Music is not for me at this time, which limits my HomePod's usefulness given its current software constraints. I initially had good experiences broadcasting to the HomePod using AirPlay, but last night AirPlay performed abysmally, dropping its connecting every few minutes. I'm hopeful that will shake out and improve with time (especially when AirPlay2 arrives), but what would REALLY help would be for Apple to enable Siri play from my iTunes Home Sharing library to my HomePod. These are all my songs available on my Wifi network to all my other Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) all within the Apple ecosystem, so I can't think of any technical reason why they shouldn't be equally available to my HomePod! I very much hope Apple reconsiders and makes this available in a near-future update.

No Home Sharing with HomePod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.