Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Mini Won’t Play Music Library

Reposting since Apple took my question down (I guess I'm not allowed to say that having products called Music and Apple Music makes explaining this issue complicated?)

When I ask Siri on my new HomePod Mini to play something in my Music Library (thousands of songs I've owned for years), it says it can’t find the “song/artist in your music library.” But it’s there. I can play these songs from my iPhone or MacBook. From the iPhone or MacBook I can also manually change the audio output to go to the HomePod. But if I use Siri commands, the HomePod ONLY plays from…idk what to call it…it only plays from a small number of songs that were purchased and downloaded through iTunes years ago (like that infamous U2 album).

I do not subscribe to Apple Music (nor am I interested).

I just want to be able to ask it to play songs that I own that are in my Music Library.

This person has my problem also. I followed the instructions in the "solution" but, like them, those instructions didn't solve my problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252157082?answerId=254133210022#254133210022

If it can't simply play music I own, I dunno. It already can’t play Spotify by voice command. If it won’t even play my own music from my own Music Library without manual intervention, what’s the point?

I just need a speaker in my home office and wanted the higher quality sound from a HomePod. But, be honest with me, if I'm mainly going to listen to my personal Music Library or Spotify and have no intention of signing up for an Apple Music subscription, should I get a different speaker?

HomePod mini, 15

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 11:47 AM

Never would have thought that an Apple speaker wouldn't play music stored in Apple's music app with Apple's voice assistant.

So I'll answer my question: Bye bye, HomePod.

-Disappointed Life-long Apple Fan

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 24, 2022 10:08 AM in response to sarahfelldown

As noted in the other thread:

Siri on HomePod has access to your unhidden purchase history with the iTunes Store, or your iCloud Music Library if you have a subscription to Apple Music or iTunes Match. (It can be a bit flakey with Match, may help to turn off recognize my voice). Assuming you don't want a subscription you can use AirPlay to play your music through HomePod. See Use AirPlay to stream audio - Apple Support.

To access all of your playlists and non-store purchases via Siri on HomePod you need a subscription. Apple Music will give you access to all of the Apple Music collection on top of your own media.

sarahfelldown wrote:

... should I get a different speaker?

Only you can really answer that.

tt2

HomePod Mini Won’t Play Music Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.