Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what about opendirectory ?

what will happen to opendirectory ?

Posted on Feb 9, 2018 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2018 4:56 AM

From the Prepare for changes to macOS Server announcement, it appears that Server.app is becoming an MDM profile management server.

Open Directory is not listed as being deprecated with the upcoming changes, though Apache and other apps are listed as being deprecated.

What might happen to Open Directory in a future release and past what's arriving in the next several months and what features and changes might be associated with the upcoming changes, we don't (yet) know.

Though I'm investigating options and alternatives, and am otherwise waiting for the upcoming announcement, I presently expect to be migrating most everything on the existing servers, and maybe then deploying one or two of these new MDM servers if and as needed; if the Apple Configurator tool isn't enough.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2018 4:56 AM in response to comeon!

From the Prepare for changes to macOS Server announcement, it appears that Server.app is becoming an MDM profile management server.

Open Directory is not listed as being deprecated with the upcoming changes, though Apache and other apps are listed as being deprecated.

What might happen to Open Directory in a future release and past what's arriving in the next several months and what features and changes might be associated with the upcoming changes, we don't (yet) know.

Though I'm investigating options and alternatives, and am otherwise waiting for the upcoming announcement, I presently expect to be migrating most everything on the existing servers, and maybe then deploying one or two of these new MDM servers if and as needed; if the Apple Configurator tool isn't enough.

Feb 10, 2018 4:01 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hi Mike,

yes, it seems that apple is pulling the plug on this nice little setup. For some years to come you still have the chance to stay with older versions that permit OD, APACHE, filesharing, iOS filesharing. On my server runs Sierra 10.12and 5.3.1, and it is the first time, that I will not upgrade anymore. If you look at the windows world many people still run WIN Server 2008. hehe.

For new setups one probably has to invest in some server Windows or Linux. What might be interesting for a little shop like us (15 people), running filemaker server, Server, login into everything with Open Directory, serving 4 websites all from one MINI Server 2010, is migrating to the cloud.

I think in some years, when the 2010 machines dies, I will have google or AWS have the login info, serve the sites and filemaker and all.

If you will be able to login to a MAC or iPAD with this.. hmm. Thats where you will have to have still a machine running server.app :-(.

Anyway.. I am by no means savvy and would like to hear other opinions what will happen to this Software and ecosystem.

Again it shows, that APPLE is not interested in this "corporate" world.

However, I think there are some small shops like mine (I am Industry) and schools, and graphic shops, that like to have a 29USD Server that does the job very well around.

what about opendirectory ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.