Related Article: Use AirPlay to stream audio

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay with HomePod cuts out intermittently.

I just unpacked the HomePod and connected it through AirPlay on my iPhone 7 plus. The music stream cuts out intermediately for a few seconds every few minutes. I am connected to the internet with an Airport Extreme. I have searched and see that this is a problem with AirPlay in general. Any solutions for the HomePod?

HomePod, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Feb 9, 2018 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 7:47 PM

The “airplay cuts out and stutters” fix is to turn off WMM in your router settings. Do that and restart your router gateway (then double check that it’s indeed off again) and your airplay issues should be magically fixed. WMM is on by default and is supposed to prioritize voice and streaming content but it has never worked well with airplay. However, when you turn it off your WiFi network speed will be slower, but not enough to make a noticeable difference (to me at least). I think it caps at 54mbps? It’s a trade off - but it’s the only way to prevent the maligned airplay issues.

Maybe when airplay2 comes out, there will be a better fix but for now this is all I have found to work.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2018 7:47 PM in response to THRO2NV

The “airplay cuts out and stutters” fix is to turn off WMM in your router settings. Do that and restart your router gateway (then double check that it’s indeed off again) and your airplay issues should be magically fixed. WMM is on by default and is supposed to prioritize voice and streaming content but it has never worked well with airplay. However, when you turn it off your WiFi network speed will be slower, but not enough to make a noticeable difference (to me at least). I think it caps at 54mbps? It’s a trade off - but it’s the only way to prevent the maligned airplay issues.

Maybe when airplay2 comes out, there will be a better fix but for now this is all I have found to work.

AirPlay with HomePod cuts out intermittently.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.