Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off volume on incoming text messages on iPhone X

On the Messages app, on an incoming message I am constantly turning the volume down to its lowest level. Is there a feature that can set it to vibrate on iPhone X? I need it to set it for all messages not for specific ones. Comes in handy when you are in a meeting and do not want to be disturbed.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Feb 10, 2018 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2018 3:30 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your reply, but it doesn't have anything to do with settings. Simply turning the ring/silent switch (a physical switch on the top left side of the phone) should silence the alerts for incoming messages and phone calls. I only mentions Settings to let you know that there is an option in Settings where you can choose whether or not it vibrates when that switch is on silent.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2018 3:30 PM in response to RusM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your reply, but it doesn't have anything to do with settings. Simply turning the ring/silent switch (a physical switch on the top left side of the phone) should silence the alerts for incoming messages and phone calls. I only mentions Settings to let you know that there is an option in Settings where you can choose whether or not it vibrates when that switch is on silent.

Feb 10, 2018 3:00 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thank you for the response. Yes I have those settings in place except that the volume for the Messages app goes to its lowest level and cannot go in mute. Then when a message comes in it still sounds. What I ended up doing was disable the sound for Messages in the Notification settings. Settings > Notification > select Messages > Sounds > Alert Tones > None. A bit cumbersome because I had to set it for other apps like Inbox, Mailboxes, GMail. I have to remember to put them back after a meeting or interviews. I just wish (and hope) there will be a button to disable sound for all notifications

Feb 10, 2018 3:57 PM in response to FoxFifth

As a user the first thing that I reacted to was the volume and focused on that. But when the sound continued when a notification comes in and with your directions on Settings, you helped me pinpoint the cause between “Sounds and Haptics” for volume and “Notification” for incoming messages. Thank you for your assistance.

How to turn off volume on incoming text messages on iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.