Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy files from many devices to one device so end up with one version of all files?

Desired Outcome: One external drive with one unique version of every file from many external storage devices.

Background: Over the years I bought newer, faster, bigger external storage devices. Then copied all files from all older external storage devices to the new external storage device (just to be sure I didn't lose anything). I kept the older devices and all get copied again with the next new storage device. Original files came from a dozen different Macs. External storage devices includes floppy disks, iOmega disks, burned CDs and DVDs, removed internal disk drives from old computers, jump drives, a couple Firewire drives, a dozen older USB hard drives, 1 SSD drive.

Result: Hundreds of thousands of files in tens of thousands of folders on dozens of external storage devices.

Envisioned Approach:

• Each file on a selected source device (SD) is compared to each file on a target device (TD).

Comparison is done by multiple parameters: File name, type, size, content, etc.

• Files on SD that match all comparison parameters to a file on the TD are considered Duplicates.
    • Duplicates are not copied to the TD. (required)
    • Duplicates are not removed from the SD. (required)
    • User Intervention: All Duplicates processing occurs without my involvement.
    • Logging: The name of the SD and the folder path and file name of the Duplicate, and the folder path and file name of the compared file found on the TD are logged. (ideal)
  • Files on the SD that do not match any of the comparison parameters are considered Unique.
    • Uniques found on the SD are copied to the TD.
    • User Intervention: I select the destination on the TD for each Unique file including new folder creation, with option to rename the file.
    • Logging: The name of the SD and the folder path and file name of the Unique, and the selected/entered folder path and file name of the file copied to the TD are logged. (ideal)
  • Files on the SD that matches some of the comparison parameters are considered Questionable.
    • Questionables may or may not be copied to the TD.
    • User Intervention: I am provided information on the Questionables and the possible matching file on the TD and provided the option to treat as a Duplicate or a Unique.
    • Logging: Duplicates and Uniques are logged as above plus indication that the file was Questionable or that the user made the Duplicate/Unique decision.

Desired Outcome: One external drive with one unique version of every file from many external storage devices.

Others surely must have faced the same problem and found that Duplicate File Finder Remover apps do not do most of this.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Feb 10, 2018 9:43 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 13, 2018 10:54 AM in response to Dave Monfore

"Consolidation" came from the name of the original program called consolidate17. I assume the author made 17 attempts at a solution. I got involved in revamping the program when the original user was continuing to report problems. Turns out the program was written to run on data on the startup disk. The Guy Burns, original user, was running the program on an external drive. The report was of disk space full. I optimized the program to use less disk space. Somewhere along the line it was determined that the original user was running the program on the external drive. Files were being copied from the external drive to the startup drive's trashcan. Startup drive was filling up. Since emptying the trashcan "solved" the problem it took awhile to start out. I modified the program to work on an external drive. I'm not sure if I gave the original author, JulieJulieJulie, enough credit. I did make extensive modifications over many weeks.

Here is part of the discussion about the origin of this program.

Can I copy files – but with certain restrictions?

These online services have delete the original uploads. 😢

R

Feb 10, 2018 12:06 PM in response to Dave Monfore

So, you get a new big drive and copy all you files to the new drive. Detach all old drives from you machine. This is a safe copy of your files. You can then experiment around and see if the app does what you want.

Why doesn't Duplicate File Finder meet your needs?

Comparison is done by multiple parameters: File name, type, size, content, etc.

This isn't the why to go. You should be using a hash like md5 [?].

If you have bash coding skills, I did once write a bash script to consolidate files. Would need modification.

R

Feb 11, 2018 6:32 AM in response to rccharles

I bought Duplicate File Finder Pro (DFFP) hoping to make it work. It appears the only thing I can do is delete the duplicates leaving those not deleted (the remaining Uniques) sitting in thousands of folders on the Source Devices. Helpful but well short of the goal.

I'm not a coder so need to use apps. A multi-app process may be needed. Do you know of an app that would complete the process - extracting the remaining Uniques and adding to the Target Drive?

Thank you for taking the time to assist me! Very kewl.

Jul 29, 2018 1:29 PM in response to rccharles

I reviewed a script that I re-wrote 7 and a half years ago. Looks like it will do what you want. Here is the link:

https://pastebin.com/raw/u5UpRa8G

It does the duplicate elimination. If the duplicates have been eliminated. I'd expect it to do the combining since no duplicate were found. You never know.

Warning: please have a backup of your complete system. Please detach any external drives you do not need.

All the files to be "consolidated" need to be in the same folder, sub-folders are allowed. Place all files on the same volume. Consolidate from there.

The scripts was developed for one user. This use successful ran the script.

Here is what I think is the users comments on running the script.

CONSOLIDATE SCRIPT

Authors

Originally written in 2010 by JulieJulieJulie of the Apple forums in response to a post by Guy Burns. Rccharles made improvements to the script to bring it to its present form.

What the Script Does

Consolidate checks all files in a folder (top level and all subfolders) and sends duplicates in subfolders to the Trash. A file in a subfolder that has the same name as a file at the top level but which is not identical (i.e. it has been edited in some way) is appended with "#1", "#2" as required. Folders that have a dot (.) in their name are untouched by this script. Therefore, if you want to protect a folder put a dot somewhere in its name.

To run the script

1. Double-click on the script icon Consolidate.command. Terminal will open.

2. Drag the folder that is to be consolidated to the Terminal window and press return. The script offers the user two options.

(a) To keep the folder structure intact press "n" (do not move files). Pressing any other key will move all files to the top level at the end of the run.

(b) To keep map files intact press "n" (do not regroup). Pressing any other key will cause map files to be regrouped. Unless you have map files (GIS, QGIS and the like) that you wish to keep together, you can ignore this option and press any key.

The script searches for duplicate files and files with the same name that have been altered, and processes them as described above. At the end of the run the script reports (amongst other things) the elapsed time and the "trash diff" – the number of files trashed. It also creates a folder at the top level called saved--consolidated-data in which are four files that record what the script did. The first file, Consolidate Trashed List, tells the user how many files were trashed and their names.

Guy B.

Aug 2010

I uploaded an example run. Here:

https://pastebin.com/zVWRDA9E

[Edited by Host]

How do I copy files from many devices to one device so end up with one version of all files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.