Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook messenger app on Apple Watch not loading???

I just got the series 3 Apple Watch. All of my apps work fine except Facebook messenger. It acts like it is loading and has little dots flashing in a circle. I have updated the OS on the watch and phone. Updated the app on phone. Removed it from phone and watch and added back. And also done the trick where you add your own auto replies in the settings and then delete them. I was really looking forward to having this app because it’s one of the apps I use all day. Any help???

Apple Watch Series 3

Posted on Feb 10, 2018 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2018 2:42 AM

Hi

If you have not yet done so, then it may help to:

Update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Update Messenger to the latest version:

Check that you are following all of the instructions here:

Otherwise, for assistance with issues concerning Messenger (a third-party app), I suggest that you consult the developer's support resources and/or contact the developer for assistance.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2018 2:42 AM in response to Hollymsopha

Hi

If you have not yet done so, then it may help to:

Update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Update Messenger to the latest version:

Check that you are following all of the instructions here:

Otherwise, for assistance with issues concerning Messenger (a third-party app), I suggest that you consult the developer's support resources and/or contact the developer for assistance.

Apr 18, 2018 1:38 PM in response to nufather

There are some generic troubleshooting steps you can try beforehand, but honestly they didn’t work for me. Those steps include:

• Rebooting the Apple Watch and iPhone to re-initiate the two-way connection and software
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the Facebook Messenger app from both the iPhone and Apple Watch
  • Toggling Bluetooth off and on again to reset the wireless connection between your devices
  • Check to make sure iOS, watchOS, and the Facebook Messenger app are up-to-date

What fixed the problem for me was following these steps:

1) Launch the Facebook Messenger app from your iPhone’s Home screen.

2) Tap on your profile image at the top left of the Facebook Messenger app.

3) When presented with the app’s Settings page, tap on the Apple Watch cell.

4) Manually enter 1-2 custom replies in the available text fields.

5) Tap on the blue < Me button at the top left of the app.

Now that you’ve modified your app’s custom replies, try re-launching the Facebook Messenger app on your Apple Watch. Everything should begin loading as expected this time around. If it was successful, you can delete any custom replies you added in the steps above if you wish to do so.

As of this writing, the latest version of the Facebook Messenger app (version 112.0) includes this bug. It may be fixed in a future update, but until then, it’s good to have at least one workaround. Fortunately, once you use the workaround, you shouldn’t need to fix anything again in the future, as the app should continue to work properly.

I followed these steps and they worked

Mar 29, 2018 6:07 PM in response to fashton

i have exactly the same issue with my watch (1 week old) and I have done everything everyone has posted on this site as well as YouTube, Apple Support and no one has been able to fix the problem. What I did discover is the Apple Watch icon isnt loading on my profile in messenger and I think that’s where the problem lies, not that I am a wizard at this. so If anyone out there has a fix would love to hear from you.

Apr 11, 2018 9:53 PM in response to Hollymsopha

This is ridiculous. This should just work or take it off the iwatch list. If it has a 50/50 chance on it not working I think apple should step in and make the company either fix it or take it off the iwatch compatible list. I just bought a brand new iwatch (first time buyer) and everything works flawless with the iwatch except the messenger. I have been on so many sites and tried numerous fixes. deleted the app on iwatch, deleted from iphone , reinstalled messenger 3 or 4 times. custom sayings in messenger iwatch settings, updated iphone / iwatch , reboot iwatch, hard reboot iwatch.... not sure i left anything out. I now have sent messenger a msg thru "Report a problem". Sooooo that probably wont go anywhere. Will have to see, tomorrow I will start looking for another alternative to messenger, some have said skype but not sure if that will work on iwatch, havn't looked into it yet. Wish something would happen.

May 27, 2018 9:22 AM in response to Hollymsopha

Maybe, if the app developers can’t get their stuff together and make the apps work right, get rid of the apps. This is an ongoing issue. I have found topics of this over a year old and it’s still not fixed. Both the apps and the developers don’t make money. Pretty simple. Apple, are you listening? It’s bad enough with the other issues I’ve had and now apps aren’t working on your devices, after approval for the apps?

Apple is on a steady decline.

Jun 7, 2018 2:56 AM in response to Hollymsopha

Same here. I had spent a lot of hours to fix that issue. But without success. I had written to FB, no answer. I am really disappointed that Apple admire such a negative feedback for approved apps. Also, a lot of people like me, who had chosen to buy the watch EXACTLY because of the messenger app, are actually not able to use it. Really Bad!

Jun 7, 2018 5:16 AM in response to Lipchev

@Lipchev, any problems in third party apps are the responsibility of the app developer, not Apple. You need to raise your problems to Facebook.

Based on recent announcements that Apple will add measures in iOS12 to hobble Facefook's intrusive data mining and snooping on user movements I don't expect your complaint will worry them too much if their inaction encourages you to abandon iPhone in favor of a platform where they have greater access to your data. You are not their customer, your data is their product.

Jul 15, 2018 1:22 AM in response to Hollymsopha

Facebook messenger is behaving even more bizarrely now. With 2 of my contacts their messages are showing properly and I can reply to them no problem with the watch. All other messages when I click on them I just see the spinning icon.

One noticeable thing is that only about 12 or so message threads are showing and not the full list which I can see when I use messenger on my phone.

This is really useless Facebook

Facebook messenger app on Apple Watch not loading???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.