Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook air or MacBook pro

So I’m trying to get a new MacBook for mainstage. I’m new and only use a few patches. Is the new MacBook Air with icore 7 going to be powerful enough? Or should I get the MacBook Pro? Obviously with cost I can get a bigger drive with the air. But I want to make sure it’s powerful enough.

Posted on Feb 12, 2018 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2018 6:15 AM

I would opt for an i7 MacBook Pro, 16 GB RAM, and at least a 500 GB SSD. You may only use a few patches now, but you will inevitably need room to grow. You can probably find a good used one for the same or less than a new maxed-out MacBook Air, which offers a maximum 8 GB RAM.

6 replies

Feb 12, 2018 6:18 AM in response to lifenoise

So even if I get a MacBook Pro, I would need a 16gb not a 8gb? I had read somewhere that 8gb would be enough. Sorry I know this is newbie stuff, just making sire I get what is going to be beneficial. I have a MacBook Pro now (mid 2014) it has been ok, most issues I have had were some latency and or connectivity. But the storage is 128 gb which is just terrible. This is the main reason I am upgrading. However I want to make sure I have a machine that can handle MainStage and video Editing which is the majority of what I use it for.

MacBook air or MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.