Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sort artists grayed out

Numerous albums have songs in which sort artists and sort album artists entries are grayed out in the iTunes main window and in the Get Info fields. Filling in the fields gives black text until the Get Info window is closed: the item text turns gray immediately. Sort (song) name is grayed out in the Get Info window but is black in the iTunes main window. This behavior is bizarre. I can find no logic about which albums and which fields are affected.

Deleting and replacing a song does not eliminate the grayed-out fields.

The songs play, and the sorting is correct. They gray text is annoying, and I worry that this is a sign that worse problems may occur.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Mac Pro Early 2009

Posted on Feb 13, 2018 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 6:18 AM

As noted auto sort values are based on the exclusion of leading articles, a, an, the and equivalents in some other languages. An auto sort value will be shown in the corresponding sort field in grey if it is different from the primary value. Manually set sort values are not greyed out. This allows you to tell which is which. As you have noted if the you attempt to manually set the sort value when it contains a leading article to the same value that iTunes would otherwise give it then it will be shown in grey. This doesn't not indicate any fault with the database.

Of late the iTunes Store often explicitly sets sort values that are the same as the primary values which I find equally irritating. I want to see darker sort values only when I have made a conscious choice to sort say Antonio Vivaldi as Vivaldi, Antonio. In my case when I eliminate the unwanted sort values my choice sticks. Unfortunately for you with your scenario iTunes is working as intended.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2018 6:18 AM in response to iTBotB

As noted auto sort values are based on the exclusion of leading articles, a, an, the and equivalents in some other languages. An auto sort value will be shown in the corresponding sort field in grey if it is different from the primary value. Manually set sort values are not greyed out. This allows you to tell which is which. As you have noted if the you attempt to manually set the sort value when it contains a leading article to the same value that iTunes would otherwise give it then it will be shown in grey. This doesn't not indicate any fault with the database.

Of late the iTunes Store often explicitly sets sort values that are the same as the primary values which I find equally irritating. I want to see darker sort values only when I have made a conscious choice to sort say Antonio Vivaldi as Vivaldi, Antonio. In my case when I eliminate the unwanted sort values my choice sticks. Unfortunately for you with your scenario iTunes is working as intended.

tt2

Feb 14, 2018 12:48 AM in response to iTBotB

Hi,

Sort fields are automatically sorted based on first letter of title except when the first word is 'the' or 'a'. As you have found out there is no consistency in the way that the information is displayed. The songs are sorted according to those settings and there is no need to show information unless you want to change sort order. For artists, I usual sort by surname, first name.

Sorting is working as expected but you could provide feedback to Apple regarding this issue.

Jim

Feb 14, 2018 6:10 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

My problem isn’t sorting; it’s the seemingly random appearance of gray text. Gray text, in the context of sorting fields, is supposed to mean that iTunes put in a sort result based on song name or artist name or album artist name because the user didn’t fill in the sort fields. In my case, the filled-out sort fields also are grayed out. The song has complete sort information in every field but won’t switch font colors to black. I’m old, and I need better contrast than gray on white. (I thank Apple for making most of its interface elements, including text, gray.)

Feb 14, 2018 7:09 AM in response to turingtest2

Now, I understand. As often is the case, I don’t like Apple’s decision. I don’t like a sort field that has a quarter of the entries grayed out. Grayed-out text is supposed to mean that it can’t be accessed or, in menus and buttons, can’t be selected. It should not mean that iTunes knows it should remove “The” from a song name, artist, or album title when sorting. It’s as if iTunes congratulates itself for being so smart and tells you when it is smart by removing half the color from the text. Apple could make the gray/black appearance a preference, but Apple eliminates preferences with each new OS. (One of my least favorite is not allowing users to set the interval for screen saver slide shows.)

I discovered that putting a space at the end of the text in the sort field eliminates the gray text. It doesn’t interfere with anything in iTunes. It obviously will give wrong sort field results if you export an XML file, but I can’t see how the extra space would matter.

Sort artists grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.