Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

workout pool swim miscounts laps and distance

I cannot post to Swimming workout miscounts laps and distance, I am opening a new thread. I have had this same problem since the middle of last year. The workout pool swim counted accurately only for a few months when I started to used it in early 2017, then has started to miscounted laps and distance. It seemed like the miscount happened mostly for the first ~5 laps. I did not change my usual routine of lap swimming at all, the first 10 laps have been always freestyle.

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 11:45 AM

Hi

Whilst I can't say why your workouts are not being recorded accurately, the following steps may help:

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Check your personal information:

• Activity app and Workout app estimations depend, in part, on your personal information.
  • To check that this remains accurate - and to update it over time:
    • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and, if required, adjust items and then tap on Done.

Check that you are wearing your Apple Watch correctly:

Close certain apps and then restart (normally) both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

Prior to recalibrating your Apple Watch (see the next step), check your Location Services settings (whilst it s not relevant for Pool Swim workouts, GPS data is important when calibrating your Apple Watch, including for use during other activities):

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set it to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Recalibrate your Apple Watch, resetting any existing calibration data and starting afresh:

If the issue persists, next unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

Keep in mind that the built-in Workout app does not currently support tracking swimming workouts when not using your arms (such as when using a kickboard). During indoor swimming workouts, the app relies on tracking your arm motion when estimating results.

For any workouts that include swimming without using your arms, you may find that a third-party app meets your needs. You may also wish to try using a third-party app in case it better meets your needs more generally. For example, the swimming-specific Swim.com app includes support for tracking kickboard drills:

If the issue persists and you are concerned about a potential software issue or hardware defect, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

More information:

Track workouts and stay healthy with Apple Watch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2018 11:45 AM in response to pkwu

Hi

Whilst I can't say why your workouts are not being recorded accurately, the following steps may help:

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Check your personal information:

• Activity app and Workout app estimations depend, in part, on your personal information.
  • To check that this remains accurate - and to update it over time:
    • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and, if required, adjust items and then tap on Done.

Check that you are wearing your Apple Watch correctly:

Close certain apps and then restart (normally) both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

Prior to recalibrating your Apple Watch (see the next step), check your Location Services settings (whilst it s not relevant for Pool Swim workouts, GPS data is important when calibrating your Apple Watch, including for use during other activities):

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set it to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Recalibrate your Apple Watch, resetting any existing calibration data and starting afresh:

If the issue persists, next unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

Keep in mind that the built-in Workout app does not currently support tracking swimming workouts when not using your arms (such as when using a kickboard). During indoor swimming workouts, the app relies on tracking your arm motion when estimating results.

For any workouts that include swimming without using your arms, you may find that a third-party app meets your needs. You may also wish to try using a third-party app in case it better meets your needs more generally. For example, the swimming-specific Swim.com app includes support for tracking kickboard drills:

If the issue persists and you are concerned about a potential software issue or hardware defect, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

More information:

Track workouts and stay healthy with Apple Watch - Apple Support

workout pool swim miscounts laps and distance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.