Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting old Mac Pro to storage/server - storage? Etc.

I have my old 2008 Quad-Core Mac Pro sitting around gathering dust. I just hired a new person, who's starting next week, as a media producer. She'll be working with a lot of photos and video, as do I, and I'd like to find a better way of sharing the media than our slow and restrictive network storage. It seems reasonable I should be able to convert the old Mac Pro into a server, right? It has the standard dual gigabit NIC and we both have OWC Thunderbolt 3 docks attached to our MacBooks, so we'd be piping everything via ethernet.

The question is storage. The original specs limit internal storage to 3 Gb/s Serial ATA, and finding NEW 3 Gb/s SATA drives ain't easy, although finding 6 Gb/s is a piece of cake - cheap too. Are the newer drives backward compatible?

I have Snow Leopard installed now, and might take it up to Lion, although I had a bad experience with a similar vintage MacBook. I doubt any higher that 10.7 is possible or even that useful with this system. It only needs to feed stored video to our actual workstations so we won't be asking it to do a whole lot. Would the new Mac Server app be useful, and if so I suppose I'd need to upgrade to at least El Capitan.

Thoughts and opinions? Fallback plan is an expensive NAS RAID rig. Which is fine, but I'd love to make my old Mac useful again.

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2018 8:30 AM

Unless you expect to simultaneously run full tilt on multiple connections at once, that is not necessary. That's what a Gigabit Ethernet SWITCH is for. They are not expensive. I use two in my Home Network.

I just upgraded my Home MacOS Server to 20GB. So proud of that!

In response, it consistently uses less than FIVE, even with more available.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2018 8:30 AM in response to MikeinAustin

Unless you expect to simultaneously run full tilt on multiple connections at once, that is not necessary. That's what a Gigabit Ethernet SWITCH is for. They are not expensive. I use two in my Home Network.

I just upgraded my Home MacOS Server to 20GB. So proud of that!

In response, it consistently uses less than FIVE, even with more available.

Feb 14, 2018 3:20 PM in response to MikeinAustin

There is no practical limit on drive size. Anything you can buy will work fine. The real upper limit is more than 100,000 times larger than the largest drive you can buy.

Some users have reported problems in later versions of macOS where certain over 6GB drives would not Mount across a restart, but the work-around is just to do a Shutdown/Restart instead.

Feb 14, 2018 5:41 PM in response to MikeinAustin

There’s no reason you can’t use larger drives (with one caveat). The ones I would avoid for use inside the Mac Pro are the so-called NAS drives, because of the not-mounting-after-restart issue. Toshiba 6TB drives work well in my 2010 Mac Pro, and WD Red drives are reported to work correctly also, in terms of mounting on restart. The problem for you may be the mounting sleds for the drives. I don’t know of any replacement sleds for a 2008 Mac Pro that would work with the screw position of some of the 6 TB drives. So 4 TB may be your practical upper limit for internal drives.

Feb 15, 2018 7:57 AM in response to kahjot

Great info - THANKS! I imagine 16TB should be plenty for the volume of work the two of us will complete.

One other question. I'm flirting with the idea of foregoing wireless connectivity for the rest of the team and instead going with wired gigabit connections. For that I'd need four additional ports. I know there are plenty of multi-port PCIe NICs available, but I don't know which might or might not be compatible. Any thoughts on that?

Feb 15, 2018 10:02 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

i agree with you, JimmyCMPIT

The real requirement is, that whatever your mounting scheme, it has to hold the drive straight enough to hit the backplane connector and seat properly, and keep the drive from falling out. Not much else.

When SSD drives first come out, I could not get one onto a Mac Pro sled, so I invented a way using one CD-mounting screw and some double-stick tape. it was fussy to install, but worked just fine.

Converting old Mac Pro to storage/server - storage? Etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.