Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I do not have the option to change back to 4 digit passcode

I have followed the instructions provided to change passcode from 6 digits to 4 digits, however, I do not have the options to change to 4 digits. I have not seen the solution provided. Currently using version 11.2.1. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Feb 15, 2018 11:06 AM

7 replies

Feb 15, 2018 11:33 AM in response to arjhutch

arjhutch wrote:

I have followed the instructions provided to change passcode from 6 digits to 4 digits, however, I do not have the options to change to 4 digits. I have not seen the solution provided. Currently using version 11.2.1. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

if you go to settings - passcode and you see no setting to switch back then you can't do so.

Feb 15, 2018 11:57 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

rockmyplimsoul wrote:

iOS 11.2.5 on iPhone X has a 4-digit option, so it should be available to you ... maybe update iOS? Note that you have to start to change your passcode and then tap "Passcode Options" and 4-digit is one of them.

I have the phone and IOS and went into my settings and didn't have the option to go back 4 digit, but I do have an exchange email account on my phone.

Feb 15, 2018 12:04 PM in response to razmee209

razmee209 wrote:

rockmyplimsoul wrote:

iOS 11.2.5 on iPhone X has a 4-digit option, so it should be available to you ... maybe update iOS? Note that you have to start to change your passcode and then tap "Passcode Options" and 4-digit is one of them.

I have the phone and IOS and went into my settings and didn't have the option to go back 4 digit, but I do have an exchange email account on my phone.

Interesting, if you tap "Passcode Options" while changing the passcode what options do you see? This is not directly in Settings, it is within the steps to change your passcode.

I have an exchange account on mine too, but I think it would take a (corporate) profile installed on your device to make it behave differently, is that the case for you?

FWIW, my wife's iPhone 8+ (with 2FA enabled) is updated and still using a 4-digit code, despite my protests 😠

Feb 15, 2018 12:05 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

rockmyplimsoul wrote:

I have an exchange account on mine too, but I think it would take a (corporate) profile installed on your device to make it behave differently, is that the case for you?

That's not true There are some things Exchange Administrators can do via policies that do not require a corporate profile be installed. Minimum passcode length is one of them, as is the ability to disable the camera, browser, etc.

Feb 15, 2018 12:51 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

rockmyplimsoul wrote:

razmee209 wrote:

rockmyplimsoul wrote:

Interesting, if you tap "Passcode Options" while changing the passcode what options do you see? This is not directly in Settings, it is within the steps to change your passcode.

FWIW, my wife's iPhone 8+ (with 2FA enabled) is updated and still using a 4-digit code, despite my protests 😠

We also have other iPhone uses at our work that still use 4 digit passcodes.

Initially when setting up the iPhone I had the both options.

When I go into the settings my only other options is an alpha password.

Since Tim mention policy, our netword admin did update my policy to require 6 digits, it didn't dawn on me.

I do not have the option to change back to 4 digit passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.