Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch stair count and shaving

While I’m shaving my beard or head my Apple Watch thinks I’m climbing stairs. This results in a very high number of stairs I’ve taken during the day according to the watch. I would like to fix this without having to remove my watch or correcting the data. Any suggestions?

Posted on Feb 15, 2018 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2018 5:21 AM

Hi

Apple Watch Series 3 models have a barometric sensor, which is used when calculating elevation gain during workouts and when tracking flights of stairs climbed during general daily wear.

Various Activity-related credits may also be earned inappropriately if your arm movements, as measured by the built-in accelerometer, are misinterpreted.

If Flights Climbed are not being recorded as expected, then it may help to follow these steps:

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Remove any protective case, bumper or other protector that you may be using on your Apple Watch, especially if it is blocking the air vent or any ports:

Clean your Apple Watch, paying particular - and very careful - attention to the air vent:

Close certain apps and then restart (normally) both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

If you have ever (not necessarily recently) previously used the Workout app and/or any third-party fitness, heart and/or sleep tracking apps on your watch, check on your Apple Watch to see whether there is an active or paused session within any of them.

• If there is, then end that activity from within the app on your watch (not your iPhone).
  • If in doubt, then it may help to remove any such third-party apps from your Apple Watch, at least temporarily.

Activity-related estimations depend, in part, on your personal information. To check that this is accurate:

• On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

In preparation for calibrating your Apple Watch, check your Location Services settings:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Calibrate your Apple Watch, which can improve the accuracy of various activity-related estimations:

If it is not already listed as the primary source, then it may help to move your Apple Watch above your iPhone, but below Health, in the data sources list for Flights Climbed:

• On your iPhone, in the Health app, go to: Health Data > Activity > Flights Climbed > Data Sources & Access > Edit.

If the issue still persists, then it may help to unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2018 5:21 AM in response to maxeym

Hi

Apple Watch Series 3 models have a barometric sensor, which is used when calculating elevation gain during workouts and when tracking flights of stairs climbed during general daily wear.

Various Activity-related credits may also be earned inappropriately if your arm movements, as measured by the built-in accelerometer, are misinterpreted.

If Flights Climbed are not being recorded as expected, then it may help to follow these steps:

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Remove any protective case, bumper or other protector that you may be using on your Apple Watch, especially if it is blocking the air vent or any ports:

Clean your Apple Watch, paying particular - and very careful - attention to the air vent:

Close certain apps and then restart (normally) both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

If you have ever (not necessarily recently) previously used the Workout app and/or any third-party fitness, heart and/or sleep tracking apps on your watch, check on your Apple Watch to see whether there is an active or paused session within any of them.

• If there is, then end that activity from within the app on your watch (not your iPhone).
  • If in doubt, then it may help to remove any such third-party apps from your Apple Watch, at least temporarily.

Activity-related estimations depend, in part, on your personal information. To check that this is accurate:

• On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

In preparation for calibrating your Apple Watch, check your Location Services settings:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Calibrate your Apple Watch, which can improve the accuracy of various activity-related estimations:

If it is not already listed as the primary source, then it may help to move your Apple Watch above your iPhone, but below Health, in the data sources list for Flights Climbed:

• On your iPhone, in the Health app, go to: Health Data > Activity > Flights Climbed > Data Sources & Access > Edit.

If the issue still persists, then it may help to unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Feb 15, 2018 1:00 PM in response to maxeym

Make sure that Motion Calibration & Distance is on (tap Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services and look for Motion Calibration & Distance). With this enabled, your watch should, in theory, begin getting more accurate as it works to calibrate. Do note that calibration data is stored locally on Apple Watch, and isn’t backed up to your iPhone, so your calibration data will be lost if you unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone. If this is already enabled, there isn't much more I can think to try, other than obviously taking it off while shaving, which I understand is inconvenient.

Apple watch stair count and shaving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.