Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro Smart Keyboard won’t work after connecting to WiFi that requires credentials

After reading these posts on the issues with the Ipad Pro Smart Keyboard, I believe there are multiple issues being experienced. In my case, I am using a one month new IPad Pro 2017 10.5, with the Smart Keyboard, iOS 11.2.5. I have finally seen the pattern in my case. And it has nothing to do with cleaning the 3 magnetic things or aligning them or bringing the screen forward then back, or any thing else. Here is where I see the problem consistently. Every time I connect to a WiFi network where either some credentials are required or some “accept” button must be clicked, immediately following that process, the keyboard stops working. This is the ONLY circumstance in which it stops working. It does not happen when I connect to a WiFi where no additional steps are required to connect. There are 2 ways around this that are working consistently for me:

1. Turn off Ipad and turn it back on (see next solution for an easier way)

2. Press CMD, then TAB, then go back to any app and start typing...works perfect every time

This sure sounds like a software problem to me, and I hope Apple fixes it soon. But #2 above is a quick and easy work around.

BTW, Apple, it is a hard pill to swallow to have spent almost $900 on an Ipad and keyboard, and then to have to use a work around to make it work. It’s time for a software upgrade, please. Thank you.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.5, null

Posted on Feb 15, 2018 1:34 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

Feb 18, 2018 12:00 PM in response to Soochx

I have been visiting my partner in the hospital for just over a week. The keyboard became increadibly non-responsive and I decided to search google and found your post. I think you have really hit on something. The hospital has an accept prompt when I connect to their wifi. I only occasionally had problems with the keyboard at home, but now in the hospital it is every day and I have to reset the ipad to get it working. I have an ipad pro 12.9 July 2017 256gig.

Mar 29, 2018 11:11 AM in response to solito

Good news...just looked at release notes for iOS 11.3, and this statement is present:

"Fixes an issue on the iPad Pro that prevented the iPad Smart Keyboard from working after connecting to a captive Wi-Fi hotspot."

I am downloading just now and will confirm if, indeed, the problem has been fixed. Fingers crossed!

Apr 12, 2018 4:44 AM in response to Soochx

I have is connected the pad, turned off then on, reconnected keyboard. Nothing. I have done the same with the keyboard connecred. Nothing.

I have done a hard reboot. Nothing.

I have now a very expensive iPad Pro connected to a very expensive Apple keyboard and they will not work together.

i have tried it with out wifi And with.

The press tab and cmd buttons suggestion is redundant as the keyboard is not functioning.

i have the latest upgrade installed.

Any suggestions ?

Apr 27, 2018 3:25 PM in response to Soochx

I have exactly the same problem like everyone else. It always happens when I need to connect to a Wi-Fi that does not require a password, but will display a screen immediately afterwards (in most cases prompting for the user to login). I wonder if anyone have opened an incident with Apple? I agree that we spent a lot of money to buy the iPad Pro and the keyboard. Having to rely on a work around is not acceptable. I don’t think it is a hard problem to fix.

iPad Pro Smart Keyboard won’t work after connecting to WiFi that requires credentials

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.