Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie to MP4?

How can I convert an iMovie file to an MP4 file? I created a video for a 50th anniversary celebration and I need to convert to an MP4 on a flash drive

Posted on Feb 17, 2018 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2018 1:28 PM

Hi,

If you shared it out from iMovie 10 it will automatically be in Mp4 format, unless you shared at Best Quality (pro res). In the latter case is will share as a .mov file. I believe iMovie 9 has other share options, such as Quicktime Movie that is a .mov file. In that case, if you need to convert for some reason, use the free download, Handbrake. Conversion is easy and it will by default convert to Mp4.

To check the format, open the vid in Quicktime Player and click on Window/Show Movie Inspector. A box will appear showing the format.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2018 1:28 PM in response to zimmkev

Hi,

If you shared it out from iMovie 10 it will automatically be in Mp4 format, unless you shared at Best Quality (pro res). In the latter case is will share as a .mov file. I believe iMovie 9 has other share options, such as Quicktime Movie that is a .mov file. In that case, if you need to convert for some reason, use the free download, Handbrake. Conversion is easy and it will by default convert to Mp4.

To check the format, open the vid in Quicktime Player and click on Window/Show Movie Inspector. A box will appear showing the format.

-- Rich

iMovie to MP4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.