Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Early 2011 i7 17" won't boot completely

I have a macbook pro early 2011 17" 2.3 GHz laptop that usually won't boot. I have reinstalled the OS from scratch numerous times. I have tried:

1. Reset PRAM

2. Reset SMC

3. Switch out hard drive for SSD (just to see if the drive could be failing)

4. Test RAM and replace with different RAM.

5. Reinstall OS (Most of the time, the process of attempting to reinstall the OS also leads to a grey screen of death while the installer is loading, but every once in a while I get lucky.)

The machine (when I do get lucky, and it fully boots) seems to be fine. When I put it under load, however, it eventually shuts down, and then I get stuck into the boot loop sequence again.

I know that these machines had heat problems, and I also know that the previous owner did not get the logic board replaced during the recall period. Additionally, I know that the PO always took the machine to Apple for repairs. The machine looks immaculate, and shows that it was well taken care of. I got it because the PO did an OS update, and it got stuck on the grey screen. I figured it was just a damaged upgrade and set about to start clean, but there appears to be a deeper problem here.

Are there any other things that I can try? I'm seeing online where people replace thermal paste to try and deal with the heating issue better. Seems a bit risky tho.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), null

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 9:15 AM

Ok, thanks for your help.

I believe that I have determined that I have the dGPU problem that occurred with these machines.

I followed the initial steps on this site: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd- gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/

(Basically I followed the initial steps for moving the AMD kexts out of the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder into /AMD_Kexts. Because of SIP, though, I had to perform those steps using another machine, which made it possible for me to move the kexts around). Now the machine will boot, and is usable. It is no longer using the AMD chip at all, and at this point, there are some visual side-effects, but the computer is usable. The link above has an exhaustive list of steps that supposedly can permanently bypass the AMD dGPU. I may look into that another day. I may also look into what an AASP may say about the machine as well, per your suggestion.

For now, I wanted to thank you macjack for sticking with me on this one! Much appreciated!!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2018 9:15 AM in response to macjack

Ok, thanks for your help.

I believe that I have determined that I have the dGPU problem that occurred with these machines.

I followed the initial steps on this site: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd- gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/

(Basically I followed the initial steps for moving the AMD kexts out of the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder into /AMD_Kexts. Because of SIP, though, I had to perform those steps using another machine, which made it possible for me to move the kexts around). Now the machine will boot, and is usable. It is no longer using the AMD chip at all, and at this point, there are some visual side-effects, but the computer is usable. The link above has an exhaustive list of steps that supposedly can permanently bypass the AMD dGPU. I may look into that another day. I may also look into what an AASP may say about the machine as well, per your suggestion.

For now, I wanted to thank you macjack for sticking with me on this one! Much appreciated!!

Mar 18, 2018 4:08 AM in response to Haptronic

I have the same problem, garbled or gray screen, on my MacBook Pro 15" (Early 2011) with discrete craphics. Because the firmware fix works, it is worth sharing. The visual side-effects or garbling may be eliminated. Archlinux can be downloaded at http://archive.virtapi.org/iso/2017.03.01/ and updated firmware fix tutorial for macOS 10.13 High Sierra is here https://tuomas.rosberg.fidisk.fi/vihko/pmwiki.php/Mac/EFIHack.

MacBook Pro Early 2011 i7 17" won't boot completely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.