Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my vintage macbook pro wont finish start up so can i start it or repair it using my macbook

I have a MacBook Pro built March 2010 that has been working reasonably well until the other day when all the applications I had running on it kept crashing. I saw the spinning beach ball more and more until it became impossible to work on it at all. The MBP had thrown me several panic kernel attacks up to this point but I couldn't through lack of understanding on my part to interpret console data, work out what the problem was. The expensive "Techtool Pro" software I have installed didn't alert me to anything either, much to my annoyance!

so I had to force quit using the start up button as all software had 'Frozen'.

when I came to switch the MBP on again the start up screen took ages for the bar under the apple logo to fill up - maybe 15 minutes. It has not moved on from there! It is charging its battery, but I'm stuck now not knowing what to do. I believe it may be a hardware failure at worst but can I boot it aomehow using my much newer MacBook? Anyone got any ideas how I can mend it o r get the data safely wiped off for security if it can't be salvaged?

Please reply to this damsel in distress! Thanks everyone. 😱

P.s. Using the latest Mac OS software.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), An Excellent machine & I love it!

Posted on Aug 16, 2018 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2018 9:53 AM

No errors were reported using disk utility & despite it taking a very long time to complete

It could well be HD or SATA cable. Is this the OEM HD that shipped with the Mac new in 2010—that certainly would make it suspect, coupled with the behavior you are witnessing

If you have a bootable backup—Try booting off an external boot clone would be a definitive test, bypassing both your internal HD and SATA cable. ref: How to create a boot clone

I have certainly seen failing drives/cable pass all the FirstAid test, SMART verified, etc and still be failing.

SSD are very inexpensive these days. If you decide to replace the drive, highly recommended to replace the SATA cable as well. You can get everything you need at OWC/Macsales (see ref link above.)

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2018 9:53 AM in response to Jane Elizabeth Smith

No errors were reported using disk utility & despite it taking a very long time to complete

It could well be HD or SATA cable. Is this the OEM HD that shipped with the Mac new in 2010—that certainly would make it suspect, coupled with the behavior you are witnessing

If you have a bootable backup—Try booting off an external boot clone would be a definitive test, bypassing both your internal HD and SATA cable. ref: How to create a boot clone

I have certainly seen failing drives/cable pass all the FirstAid test, SMART verified, etc and still be failing.

SSD are very inexpensive these days. If you decide to replace the drive, highly recommended to replace the SATA cable as well. You can get everything you need at OWC/Macsales (see ref link above.)

Aug 18, 2018 9:01 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroydouglas

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I have followed the instructions you gave me. Sadly though, when I tried to boot up afterwards using Mac HD, I still can't go any further on from the start up screen. The line has filled up to the end underneath the apple logo but now I will have to switch it off again using the power button. Have you any other ideas or has some hardware failed? Should I be looking for a replacement hard drive do you think? Thanks for your help. 🤔

my vintage macbook pro wont finish start up so can i start it or repair it using my macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.