Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to see contents of "/.Trashes/501"?

How to see contents of "/.Trashes/501"? Thanks.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Booting from internal Apple SSD 2TB

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 10:02 AM

11 replies

Feb 18, 2018 11:33 AM in response to ApMaX

Yes. See the following:

Enable Finder to Show Invisible Files and Folders

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities' folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following command line then press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To turn off the display of invisible files and folders enter or paste the following command line and press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Alternatively, you can use one of the numerous third-party utilities such as TinkerTool or ShowHideInvisibleFiles - MacUpdate.

Feb 18, 2018 12:05 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks. Do you mean to type in Terminal

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

and then press carriage return and type

killall Finder

and then press carriage return?

Or just type

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE killall Finder

and then press carriage return?

I cannot find how to do it with TinkerTool System and Show Hide Invisible Files cannot be downloaded.

Feb 18, 2018 8:05 PM in response to ApMaX

You might try preceding the command lines with "sudo." For example sudo ls -al might do the trick if you are already in the correct location. However, some system folders are protected even against the Admin user by the SIP. It would be easier just to delete the trash folder along with everything in it. Disk Warrior may even get rid of them for you by using its other tools. My system does not allow me to even access the folder as it is nor to list its contents.

How did these corrupt files get into the trash? How did you determine they were corrupt. It may be that Disk Warrior is wrong about them being corrupt. Are you experiencing problems that you have reason to believe is caused by what DW reported?

Feb 19, 2018 4:00 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks. using sudo works, but does not show contents of Trash. How to delete the Trash folder along with everything in it? DiskWarrior just reports the issue but does not allow to delete such corrupt items inside Trash. They got there because DiskWarrior found that such invisible files (.Name) were corrupt and then I trashed them with Path Finder. They are truly corrupt. DiskWarrior reports them in a consistent way, buy not other similar files.

Feb 19, 2018 4:26 AM in response to ApMaX

There are several trash folders.

There is ~/.Trash

and there is /.Trashes/501

BE CAREFUL when issuing any command that remove files, especially when also using sudo.

When using rm, there is no undo!!!

To remove ALL the contents in /.Trashes/501

you would use

sudo rm /.Trashes/501/*

CAREFUL!!!! If a space creeps in after the /, you would be trying to erase ALL THE FILES in your drive! (even it would not work, this is something that causes me shivers...)

Feb 19, 2018 10:51 AM in response to ApMaX

DW is pretty old now. The way it identifies corrupt files is based on content. System files may contain data that includes characters the DW deems corrupt even though they are not. A so-called false positive. Anti-malware can report similar unknown characters when evaluating whether a file is a virus or not. If your system is fully functional then I would tend to doubt the veracity of DW's report or corruptions. I would leave well enough alone.

How to see contents of "/.Trashes/501"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.