Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11.2.5 taking up significant storage (6-8 GB on 16 GB phone)

I seem to be "running out of space on my phone," because a huge chunk of it is being taken by the system. Over 6 GB claims to be for "System" and over 8 GB on my wife's phone. I've cleaned out most other things; this seems to be just an issue with iOS.

This seems far too large to be right. I have an 16 GB iPhone 6 and she has 16 GB SE.

What gives? From reading forums, seems like a lot of people are having issues with a bloated iOS 11.2.5.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 10:37 AM

This is actually a normal size for 'System,' which is why Apple no longer sells 16GB iPhones. There actually is not an iPhone SE that only has 16GB of storage (or an iPhone 6 with that little storage), so I think that you might be looking at the wrong number there... Check out these articles for more information:

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

How iOS and macOS report storage capacity - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2018 10:37 AM in response to robbieorvis

This is actually a normal size for 'System,' which is why Apple no longer sells 16GB iPhones. There actually is not an iPhone SE that only has 16GB of storage (or an iPhone 6 with that little storage), so I think that you might be looking at the wrong number there... Check out these articles for more information:

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

How iOS and macOS report storage capacity - Apple Support

iOS 11.2.5 taking up significant storage (6-8 GB on 16 GB phone)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.