Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Caused This Rash?

Hi, I have only recently developed this rash on my arm/wrist where my watch goes. The part that goes on the effected area is on the photo but can someone tell me if it’s an allergy or just a reaction that will pass over time?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 1:43 PM

Hi

If you are highly allergic to nickel, then is certainly possible that your band and/or your Apple Watch may cause a skin reaction.

Note that, band materials aside, there is no model of Apple Watch that has no metal or nickel touching the skin; the magnets in all models of Apple Watch contain some nickel.

If you experience redness, swelling, itchiness or any other irritation or discomfort on your skin around or beneath your watch or band, then Apple recommends that you remove your Apple Watch and consult a doctor / physician before wearing it again.

More information - including about the material content of bands and cases - and related tips from Apple:

If you are concerned that your band or Apple Watch may have a manufacturing defect, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

(Note that you are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2018 1:43 PM in response to hoy_joe

Hi

If you are highly allergic to nickel, then is certainly possible that your band and/or your Apple Watch may cause a skin reaction.

Note that, band materials aside, there is no model of Apple Watch that has no metal or nickel touching the skin; the magnets in all models of Apple Watch contain some nickel.

If you experience redness, swelling, itchiness or any other irritation or discomfort on your skin around or beneath your watch or band, then Apple recommends that you remove your Apple Watch and consult a doctor / physician before wearing it again.

More information - including about the material content of bands and cases - and related tips from Apple:

If you are concerned that your band or Apple Watch may have a manufacturing defect, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

(Note that you are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community).

Feb 18, 2018 3:19 PM in response to hoy_joe

I would say that you very well may have an allergy to the material used in the watch band. See this support document for information about what materials are contained in the Apple Watch. Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apple suggests that you stop wearing the watch for a period of time and see what happens. You may have to consult a dermatologist about a skin allergy. You may also have to see about an alternative for the watch band, or stop wearing the watch all together.

What Caused This Rash?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.