Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound on Garage Band playback

I am brand new to Garage Band and am trying to record an audio book.

I have set up a usb-connected microphone to my MacBook Air. I have changed the input to reflect the microphone. When I attempt to record a track, it seems to be working. As I speak into the microphone, the track shows the squiggly lines that would seem to indicate it is recording my voice onto Garage Band. But when I go back to the beginning & hit the play button, no sound comes out.

I have tried playing music on my computer to make sure the audio is working, and it is. I've tried using headphones, but no sound comes out with or without headphones. I've checked all the possible common sense trouble shooting I can think of, but no sound comes out.

Suggestions appreciated.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 7:04 AM

trailsnet wrote:

I have changed the input to reflect the microphone.

have you also set the output?

trailsnet wrote:

when I go back to the beginning & hit the play button, no sound comes out.

what happens if you unplug the USB mic? does sound play from the Mac's speakers then?

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 19, 2018 11:59 AM in response to trailsnet

the meters aren't showing any level at all, though the track is not muted. this is a puzzler.

just for gigglers, try soloing the track (the little headphone icon in the track header), does any level appear?

if that doesn't change anything, what happens if you close this project, choose New from the File Menu, choose "Empty Project" for the template, and then pick the Mic option from the dailogBox that appears (option-click the track's volume fader to bring it up to 0dB).

Feb 19, 2018 9:14 AM in response to HangTime

Thanks for your efforts, Hangtime!!

Yep. I checked the output and made sure everything was turned on there. I have also unplugged the USB mic and still no difference. When I did that, I also tried adding one of the Garage Band tracks and then hitting the play button. Still no sound even with one of the tracks that are included with Garage Band. Every sound, music, audio works fine with every other program on my computer. I'm just not getting any output sounds with Garage Band.

No sound on Garage Band playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.