Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open Photos Library from External Hard Drive

Hi there,

I purchased a Seagate backup plus slim 2TB to make some space for my macbook running macos 10.13.3. This hard drive is in NTFS for windows and so I downloaded the Paragaon NTFS for mac driver (version 15) to get read-write access for my mac using this hard drive. I copied and pasted all my documents and downloads from my mac to the drive and opened them up from my drive to confirm it works.

However when I copied my photos library onto the drive and try to open it, it gives me an error, saying that the file is corrupted and so I try to open the photos app by holding option then click; this gives me the option to choose which library to open. I choose the one in my hard drive and using this method I still get an error saying the drive is not a supported format. I have downloaded the Paragaon NTFS for mac driver so I'm not sure why I'm getting this problem.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), null

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 9:38 AM

The photos library can not be used on a NTFS (or any windows format) drive - it must only be on a local drive connected with a fast wired connection and formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) -- Where is it safe to store a Photos Library? Requirements for the external drive -- move the library to a properly formatted drive and you can use it if it was not permanently damaged by being on an incorrectly formatted drive - if it was then you will have to restore your backup from before damaging the library

LN

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2018 9:38 AM in response to matwon

The photos library can not be used on a NTFS (or any windows format) drive - it must only be on a local drive connected with a fast wired connection and formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) -- Where is it safe to store a Photos Library? Requirements for the external drive -- move the library to a properly formatted drive and you can use it if it was not permanently damaged by being on an incorrectly formatted drive - if it was then you will have to restore your backup from before damaging the library

LN

Cannot open Photos Library from External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.