Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FB Messenger will not open on Apple Watch

Facebook Messenger starts, and spins, and spins, and spins until it eventually crashes.

I've tried:

1. rebooting watch
  2. rebooting phone
  3. upgrading WatchOS
  4. uninstalling Messenger from watch, rebooting both, installing again
  5. uninstalling Messenger from phone, rebooting both, installing again
  6. changing a reply in the Apple Watch section of Messenger Settings on the phone

HELP!!!

Apple Watch Series 2, iOS 11.2.6, null

Posted on Feb 21, 2018 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 5:52 AM

This order worked for me!

• Open the Messenger app on your phone
  • Go to Settings (tap on the upper-left picture to load the Settings Menu)
  • Tap on Apple Watch
  • Change one of the default replies to anything and close the app (double press Home and swipe up on Messenger app preview to close)
  • Open Messenger > Settings > Apple Watch again and delete that entry you just changed
  • Close the app again (double press Home and swipe up on Messenger app preview to close)
  • Good luck!

User uploaded file

64 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2018 5:52 AM in response to dorafromszeged

This order worked for me!

• Open the Messenger app on your phone
  • Go to Settings (tap on the upper-left picture to load the Settings Menu)
  • Tap on Apple Watch
  • Change one of the default replies to anything and close the app (double press Home and swipe up on Messenger app preview to close)
  • Open Messenger > Settings > Apple Watch again and delete that entry you just changed
  • Close the app again (double press Home and swipe up on Messenger app preview to close)
  • Good luck!

User uploaded file

Feb 21, 2018 4:54 AM in response to o1sowise

Hi

As you have already followed these steps:

Update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Update Messenger to the latest version:

And if the suggestions here also do not help:

Then, for assistance with issues concerning Messenger (a third-party app), I suggest that you consult the developer's support resources and/or contact the developer for assistance.

Mar 27, 2018 8:21 AM in response to lwc1an

Hi Iwc1an,

I have tried all your steps, it did work for a moment, but then I got the same apple watch screen as yours where the profile photo of people are grey, when you click on a specific conversation, the same problem occurs again, constant buffering.

Then, I restart my apple watch series 3, and now it is the FB messenger apple watch is buffering forever.

My FB used to work fine before, with minor glitches, however since I updated the messenger FB app on the actual iphone, it occurs all the buffering problem.

I saw the new ios update, stating

iOS 11.2.6 includes bug fixes for your iPhone or iPad. This update:

• Fixes an issue where using certain character sequences could cause apps to crash
  • Fixes an issue where some third-party apps could fail to connect to external accessories

I hope this second line is direct toward the FB messenger app for apple watch, I am very reluctant to update my current IOS, but for me it is ridiculous to not been working, I believe I am out of options.

Thank you,

Emily

May 24, 2018 7:20 AM in response to Croyde8

I’m in the same boat - bought the watch just a few weeks ago. Used the ‘default answer’ trick and got messenger loaded - then a messenger update set it ‘loading’ again and nothing worked. I hoped that a further update this morning may help - but no. Sent numerous reports to Facebook Messenger ‘report a problem‘ - no reply - and Apple say it’s nothing to do with them. We spend our money - but we don’t count for much do we?? So, so, SO angry that we get get sweet FA respect or response. Disgusting.

May 25, 2018 11:39 PM in response to TitanShadow

Of course I appreciate that - the app is ’free’ though it is it‘s use by ourselves in conjunction with Facebook that creates their massive revenues through advertising - but I’m not sure it’s relevant. I would rather something wasn’t available - than available and fail. And not being even acknowledged by the Messenger ‘problem’ team is irksome - how much resource would it take simply to respond - even if it were to say ‘Tough - we can’t be bothered - the app was free right? So why should we make it work??’. As for Apple - they are a massive corporation - they grant licences for the use of their platform - I can’t see why they can’t send an email or two on behalf of the thousands (hundreds of thousands?) who are sharing this frustration.

FB Messenger will not open on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.