Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health issues with iPhone X

There is definitely an issue with the iPhone X and it's effect on the eyes and brain. I am a photosensitive epileptic. My condition is successfully controlled by medication and I have not had a seizure for more than 30 years.

I upgraded my phone to the iPhone X a week ago, and from day one I began to experience the warning signs that indicate a seizure is likely to occur. I suspected it was due to the phone but stuck with using it for a few days. Each day these warning signs increased in intensity. I disabled the facial recognition feature and then the true tone setting, but the phone has to still be flashing, and at a rate that is causing an electrical disturbance in my brain. I have used various iPhones without problem for the past 6 years but I can no longer use the iPhone X. At the moment I am still experiencing the dizzyness and eye aches caused by using this phone so there is no chance that I can use it. There must be a constant screen flicker on this phone that earlier iPhones do not have. Apple really should issue a warning with this phone for epileptics and migraine sufferers.

Is it only the iPhone X that has this type of screen flicker? My iPhone 6 causes me no problems. Is the iPhone 8 screen similar to the 6? Thanks

Posted on Feb 21, 2018 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 11:14 AM

I had the same issue. I am also epileptic but haven't had a seizure or any seizure activity since 2002. After having the 6 for a few years, I upgraded to the X. 4 hours after getting it, I had a seizure. Every time I look at the screen I have pre-seizure symptoms. I think that OLED screen is just too powerful for my brain. Took it back and got the 8 plus, which is the same screen that was in the 6. Apple was super cool about it, full refund, even replaced my screen protector i had bought for the X. If you're epileptic, or sensitive to flashing lights beware of the X.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 11:14 AM in response to AmosFreed

I had the same issue. I am also epileptic but haven't had a seizure or any seizure activity since 2002. After having the 6 for a few years, I upgraded to the X. 4 hours after getting it, I had a seizure. Every time I look at the screen I have pre-seizure symptoms. I think that OLED screen is just too powerful for my brain. Took it back and got the 8 plus, which is the same screen that was in the 6. Apple was super cool about it, full refund, even replaced my screen protector i had bought for the X. If you're epileptic, or sensitive to flashing lights beware of the X.

Mar 6, 2018 5:46 AM in response to HarrisN.Ford

I'm so sorry that the phone caused you to have a fit after 15 years of being seizure free. It is very upsetting to discover that Apple are aware of the problem, they told me so when I called them, yet have issued no health warning about the iPhone X. Their seeming lack of concern seriously dents ones trust in the company.

I am glad that you have switched to the 8. I have done the same and it's screen does not cause me problems.

Health issues with iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.