Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After login my macbook keeps asking for username and password. I remember my username and pass but it isn't being accepted.

Macbook switches on, after that getting standard screen with an icon, my username below it and a field for the password. Typing in the correct password, waiting for logging in but getting another screen with two fields, one for the username and the other one for the password. None of the known usernames and passwords accepted. Screenshot attached. Does anyone know the solution? Tried recovery mode but it's not possible to reset password because none of the users can be found in the list. Tried safemode also no success.

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, iOS 10.1, null

Posted on Feb 21, 2018 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2018 12:53 PM

Were these configured when you initially set up the computer? The name you use for your Home folder is the username. Your entered full name at setup can also be used for the username.

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion or later

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Yosemite- Reset a login password.

El Capitan Password Reset.

macOS Sierra-Reset a login password.

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2018 12:53 PM in response to kaktycehok

Were these configured when you initially set up the computer? The name you use for your Home folder is the username. Your entered full name at setup can also be used for the username.

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion or later

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Yosemite- Reset a login password.

El Capitan Password Reset.

macOS Sierra-Reset a login password.

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support.

Feb 22, 2018 1:58 AM in response to kaktycehok

When you open your Mac in the display screen name and password field is shown and you can see your correct admin name and even you try to enter the correct password and it is not accepting , the only way to enter in Mac is update the keychain password as login password is kept same as keychain password for an administrator .

See this Keychain for Mac: login keychain

Try this method -

Close all applications and shut down the computer , press command , R and power key simultaneously , release only power key and keep on holding command and R key until apple logo appears , the bar starts loading let it be completed .

Select the language as English , go to utilities on top menu bar > Utilities > Terminal execute a command resetpassword and click on enter key .

Window appears , select your admin name it will prompt to enter Apple ID and password .

Once you enter the credentials , two options will be shown ( a ) previous ( b ) next , click on next . Some fields will appear . New password ………. Verify password ………. Password hint ………. Enter your new password in two empty fields and keep password hint as empty ( optional ) . It will again prompt two options ( a ) previous ( b ) next Click on next .

Then it will prompt to restart the computer , so after restarting the machine .Pop - up will appear

The system was unable to unlock your login keychain , if you remember your old password you can update the keychain password .

If you do not remember your old password , you can create a new login keychain or choose to leave the login keychain using a different password .

Would you like to update the password , create a new keychain , or continue the login ?

A window will appear on your desktop .

( a ) continue login .

( b) create new keychain .

( c ) update keychain password .

Click on update keychain password , then log out from your computer .

When you again login in the fields enter your “ admin name “ and “ old admin password “ , so that new password will be updated with login keychain .

Hence , the admin password is changed with the help of “ Recovery mode “ only .

As you remember the old password and admin name correctly , creating new login keychain should be avoided .

Feb 23, 2018 3:17 AM in response to liv0123

When the person itself deleted his original account by clicking on minus ( a pop up window appears the correct way is choose last option ) so that account home folder is fully erased see this article macOS Sierra: Delete a user or group

And if he choose second last option

Leave the user’s home folder as is: Select “Don’t change the home folder.” The user’s documents and information remain and the user can be restored later if needed. The home folder remains in /Users/. or selected as first option .

This home folder can be retained see this article macOS Sierra: Restore a deleted user

And read this article macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

never tried the sudo command as John Galt has solved it , if original admin account is deleted by the administrator itself .

Feb 21, 2018 1:43 PM in response to Kappy

Hello mate, thanks for your response. It used to work well. I've created my apple id in 2014 and never faced problems until today. I am the only user of the macbook. So one apple id = one user had been created initially. First screen appears as it has to be, typing in the password, waiting the progress bar becomes white and then getting this fecking screen where none of possible username password combos working.

Feb 23, 2018 12:57 AM in response to tygb

This happened to someone I was helping. The admin account disappeared after he tried to upgrade to High Sierra. His wife was left on however as a standard user. Nothing could be adjusted or changed as the lock on users and groups required his sign in credentials, which weren't accepted. Friend called me to help out, so I headed over "blind" & dependent on feedback from him on how this may have been set in motion....this was the first time I've dealt with one of the users left on the acct with data intact and furthermore, it appeared her name had replaced his minus admin privileges. Other than trying to upgrade, he couldn't think of anything else that may have initiated the loss of his admin acct.

I initiated single user sign on, the commands populated automatically. Set up assistant did not begin (I almost force started Setup Assistant but I took a detour before attempting that). I went back to his screen - logging in with his wife's name & password to look into the situation more. While in the system looking at data, etc, I had him log into iCloud, which stated incorrect pw for it. I had him change it. His data suddenly began to populate, icons were now clear & apps were fully functional, etc, but he still wasn't listed as admin. & the lock on users remained.

Still being on Sierra, he wanted to upgrade to High Sierra right away & felt confident in doing so regardless. After loads of time & energy invested in ensuring things were backed up, etc, he initiated the upgrade. I had to get to a meeting as well, so I allowed him to go forth and initiate the ugrade & I left him with info to sign in with his Apple ID & password to add himself back & gain admin privileges once again, then edit his user info and his wife's after logging in as admin once again, with his reassurance he was "very okay" with the rest of it..

But...true to form when I have to leave the finishing bits in another's care, I get to thinking about it and become a bit anxious. I hope I left him with proper resources and moreover, I hope I did all I was supposed to prior to installing High Sierra. I am checking in Thursday but it's getting to me..

With all of this in mind, can you think of anything I may have missed? I'd hate to back track bc I missed a simple yet crucial step. But, if I have to, I will of course.

Thanks in advance for the time, L ~

After login my macbook keeps asking for username and password. I remember my username and pass but it isn't being accepted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.