Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme net work issue

Hi.

I have 4 express and 2 extremes making up my network all connected via ethernet cabling but the connection between the 2 extremes is running wireless as shown by the broken line connection on the airport utility screen.

Can anyone assist with a fix please ?

Thanks.

macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Extreme

Posted on Feb 21, 2018 12:46 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 24, 2018 3:44 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Good morning Bob.

Thank you for the taking time to respond to my network issue.

I attach a screen shot of current view showing wireless from router extreme to master extreme although connected by Ethernet cable. I have followed your steps and when I make the change to create from extend in the wireless option it loses everything and I then have to reset the master extreme and start over - I have tried it several times.

To confirm the router extreme and all the express units are set to create.

If you any other suggestions I shall be most grateful.

Best regards.

Paul.

User uploaded file

Feb 24, 2018 5:15 AM in response to brooker666

Try another Ethernet cable. If the cable is working correctly, and the Ethernet ports are working correctly on the AirPort Extremes, you will see a solid line between the two AirPort Extremes.

If you are still having difficulty, power off all of the AirPort Express devices and work only with the two AirPort Extremes.

Do not power up the AirPort Express devices until you have a solid line between the two AirPort Extremes.

Feb 21, 2018 1:22 PM in response to brooker666

Post the screenshots. It helps no end.

One of the Extremes.. has wireless setup to extend not create a network.. that is usually a death knell for your network as it causes a loop when it is also connected by ethernet. The loop is like feedback on a PA system.. packets are shunted around and around the system flooding it.

When you ethernet .. all the wireless routers must create a wireless network.

If it was setup correctly it can autonomously reselect Extend a wireless network after a reboot or firmware update et

Feb 21, 2018 1:24 PM in response to brooker666

Power off all of the AirPort Express devices

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac

Click to select the second AirPort Extreme that will be shown under the "main" Extreme

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the window

Make sure that the setting for Network Mode is set to "Create a wireless network" using the same wireless network name, same security and same password as the "main" AirPort Extreme

Click the Network tab at the top of the window

Make sure that the setting for Router Mode is set to "Off (Bridge Mode)"

Click Update at the lower right of the window

Allow a minute for the AirPort Extreme to restart again

Wait a minute

Power up each AirPort Express about a minute apart

Check each AirPort Express using AirPort Utility to make sure that the Network Mode is set to "Create a wireless network" on each AirPort Express.

If you are still having difficulty, post screenshots of AirPort Utility

Airport extreme net work issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.