Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Pro - can't install the 10.13.3 supplemental update (from 19.2.2018)

Brand new iMac Pro here which I installed fresh without using a backup to restore from.

The latest supplemental update (fixing the weird symbol crashing messages) can't be installed on my machine. After the update is downloaded and installed, it restarts and stucks for some time at the loading bar after which goes straight to recovery saying OSX should be reinstalled on my disk. I've done the whole procedure twice and it took my whole day in installing updates rather than working, so I am a bit ****** off. Anyone else with the same experience? I have now manually downloaded the .dmg update from apple's site and will try to do the procedure once more. If it matters, I have turned on the encryption of booting from another drive, so when I press alt when booting I have to manually enter my password. OS is installed in the internal SSD, of course.

iMac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 22, 2018 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2018 2:51 AM

Unfortunately I've just did that 🙂 However I didn't have to reinstall this time. What I did was after greeted with the horrid dialogue asking me to reinstall I restarted and held OPTION, input my password and selected the Macintosh HD. It booted just fine. I am not installing any update until 10.13.4 rolls out.

Attaching some screenshots, made a disk check, the end result was that all is fine, but I got a lot of errors which I don't know nothing about...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Similar questions

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2018 2:51 AM in response to teemufromkiuruvesi

Unfortunately I've just did that 🙂 However I didn't have to reinstall this time. What I did was after greeted with the horrid dialogue asking me to reinstall I restarted and held OPTION, input my password and selected the Macintosh HD. It booted just fine. I am not installing any update until 10.13.4 rolls out.

Attaching some screenshots, made a disk check, the end result was that all is fine, but I got a lot of errors which I don't know nothing about...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Feb 23, 2018 2:57 AM in response to StefanTotev

(I was going to make a thread about this, but Stefan beat me to it. Here's what I was going to write:)

So I've tried and failed four times to install the macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update on my iMac Pro. And much more annoyingly, after each attempt, I've had to reinstall the whole operating system. I had no problem installing the update on my MacBook Pro.

First I downloaded the update through the App Store like usual and clicked "Restart" when instructed to... Only to be met with a screen that says "The version of macOS on the selected disk needs to be reinstalled". (That error message BTW returns no search results on Google, which I find very weird and worrying.) At that point, I wasn't sure if it was the update that was the culprit, or some apps that I had just installed before the restart. But now, after three more attempts, I'm sure it's the update.

I was very worried that I would lose all my files if I just went through with the reinstall. After some googling, I managed to copy my files to an external hard drive through Recovery Mode. After that I proceeded with the reinstall.

Okay, so now I had reinstalled High Sierra for the first time. I checked the App Store for updates, and it offered me the Supplemental Update again. I downloaded it, clicked "Restart", and was again met with the message that I needed to reinstall the operating system. I went through with the reinstall again.

After the second reinstall, and after some googling, I tried to download the update through Apple's website (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1957?locale=en_US) rather than through the App Store. But the same thing happened, I had to reinstall the whole operating system, now for the third time.

So after this, I contacted Apple's support chat, and explained the problem. They advised me to try downloading and installing an older update through their website (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1952?locale=en_US). The installation went smoothly. Afterwards, the App Store again offered me the Supplemental Update. I tried to install it, thinking that the DL1952 update had fixed the problem. But again, for the fourth time, I was met with the error message that I had to reinstall the operating system.

This has wasted like two days of my time, googling for help, backing up my files to an external drive, waiting for the very slow reinstalls to complete, chatting with support... _Extremely_ annoying.

I've now hidden the Supplemental Update from the Updates tab in the App Store, and I'm obviously not going to try installing it again. There's clearly something wrong with it.

I suspect this is specific to the iMac Pro. As I said, I had no problem installing the update on my MacBook Pro. And interestingly there are separate update files for the iMac Pro and all other Macs:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1957?locale=en_US

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1958?locale=en_US

Some things that might be important:

- I have FileVault full disk encryption on

- I have set a firmware password

- I'm dual booting Windows 10

Mar 20, 2018 7:56 AM in response to StefanTotev

An Apple rep contacted me on 28.02 about the issue, but I was just about heading to the airport for a 2-week trip and couldn't assist. I'm glad to see that the problem is resolved. For best certainty head to Apple's website and download this update file: Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update iMac Pro

I've installed it and all is fine.

Feb 23, 2018 3:04 AM in response to teemufromkiuruvesi

teemufromkiuruvesi wrote:

Some things that might be important:

FWIW, I suspect you are correct in your assessment that one or more of the three things you've listed are very important.

I had zero problems running the supplemental update on my iMac Pro but I have none of the three situations you have. I have no firmware password, not running FileVault and not dual booting.

Feb 23, 2018 4:23 AM in response to StefanTotev

Had exactly the same problem. Reinstalled the system for al least 8 times during the lat 20 hours, had the entire internal SSD erased and even tried to install a 10.13.4 beta, but still a no go.

It is ridiculous for such thing to happen, been a Mac user for more than 10 years and never had such bad experience like this one, let alone this is the top model of all Mac at this time.

Feb 23, 2018 10:36 AM in response to StefanTotev

Removing the firmware password did not help. So now I'm in the middle of my fifth reinstall. And I was not able to boot into MacOS by holding down the option key, unlike Stefan.

At the beginning of the reinstall it said "About 8 minutes remaining". Now, one hour and 46 minutes later, it says "About 2 minutes remaining". 😠 The progress bar is about two thirds full.

BTW, removing the firmware password turned out to be quite an ordeal, which wasted yet a few more hours of my time. I only had a disk password setup, no user account had the ability to unlock the disk with their account password. The solution was to delete the file /var/db/.AppleSetupDone, reboot, and in the presented wizard, add a new admin account with the ability to unlock the disk. Found the solution in some obscure Reddit thread, thanks Reddit.

Those who have the same problem: do you have FileVault encryption enabled? I might try turning it off and then installing the update. I've already wasted probably 20+ hours fighting this thing, might waste a couple more. What a farce.

Feb 23, 2018 10:31 AM in response to teemufromkiuruvesi

Out of these points, I only check the second one, so don't bother to disable FileVault. It won't help.

Thanks for sharing that disabling the FW password doesn't work either, I was just about to try that out. I guess our only option is to just wait few weeks for 10.13.4. Until then, it was a great tip that you can hide updates (got to check out how you did this and found it's a simple right click on the update 🙂 ).

Feb 24, 2018 3:24 AM in response to StefanTotev

Hi - I've had a very similar problem after downloading the 10.13.3 supplemental update on my mid 2015 Macbook Air.... Endlessly reporting a fault and then rebooting. It starts OK in safe mode. I tried reinstalling OSX from recovery disk but that didn't work. Restored from an earlier backup from Time Machine and still not happy but the error report changed to a kernel panic problem with a security app called Trusteer... Rapport. Ran the uninstall for this and now everything seems ok .. Interesting that when I check for software upgrades it doesn't offer the supplemental any more so I'm staying with just 10.13.3

Feb 24, 2018 11:53 AM in response to Terrance McHugh

Unfortunately, the same thing happened. I assume there is something wrong with updating iMacPro for the time being. As a note, I even have the special Security Settings entirely off and boot from ext drive on. I personally think the iMacPro has so many encryption, security settings, etc, it became so complicated that a simple update can't be done.

Feb 25, 2018 6:41 PM in response to teemufromkiuruvesi

I just encountered the same issue after installing the 10.13.3 Supplemental Update on my iMac Pro. After it installed, it rebooted into a screen saying that macOS needs to be reinstalled.

I was able to get back to a working system by rebooting again, holding cmd+R, and restoring from the latest Time Machine backup. It took just a few minutes to restore, and I was up and running again.

Not sure what's going wrong here, but I would have hoped that Apple would have verified this update didn't brick users of their newest and most expensive hardware...

iMac Pro - can't install the 10.13.3 supplemental update (from 19.2.2018)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.