Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 3 not sending text messages

I have the cellular Apple Watch Series 3 with Verizon and it's linked to my iPhone X, but whenever my iPhone is powered off, the Apple Watch doesn't send text messages only iMessages. I also notice that when my iPhone is powered off the Apple Watch doesn't connect to certain apps like Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Discover, etc... I thought the cellular one was supposed to have its own data connection. So, if it doesn't, what's the point in getting the cellular one vs the cheaper one? 😟

Apple Watch Series 3, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 23, 2018 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2018 4:34 AM

Hi

In respect of text messages, that is normal.

The functions that are available on your Apple Watch when it is away from your iPhone depend on various factors including:

Features and requirements that apply under various circumstances are detailed here, including within footnote #1 in respect of text messages:

How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

For information and assistance regarding the features offered by third-party apps under different connectivity circumstances, I suggest that you consult the developers' support resources and/or contact them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2018 4:34 AM in response to MustangEric

Hi

In respect of text messages, that is normal.

The functions that are available on your Apple Watch when it is away from your iPhone depend on various factors including:

Features and requirements that apply under various circumstances are detailed here, including within footnote #1 in respect of text messages:

How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

For information and assistance regarding the features offered by third-party apps under different connectivity circumstances, I suggest that you consult the developers' support resources and/or contact them.

Apple Watch Series 3 not sending text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.