Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have made a movie from a Powerpoint Presentation using Quick Time Player. However when I saved the movie to a DVD I cannot play it on my Television. I am using a MacBook Pro with running system macOS Sierra 10.12.5

I have made a movie from a Powerpoint Presentation using Quick Time Player. However when I saved the movie to a DVD I cannot play it on my Television. I am using a MacBook Pro with running system macOS Sierra 10.12.5

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Feb 23, 2018 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 10:45 AM

I have now tried to do this but do not have access to iDVD only iMovie.

The iDVD app used to be included in the iLife suite of applications sold independently or included as part of the initial system installation on older Mac platforms. If you do not have a copy, you will need to purchase similar third-party software. Many Mac users use the Roxio "Toast" package but if all you want/need is the DVD authoring app equivalent of iDVD, then you can purchase any of the DVD creation apps available in the AppStore for about $20.

User uploaded file

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2018 10:45 AM in response to Norfolk2

I have now tried to do this but do not have access to iDVD only iMovie.

The iDVD app used to be included in the iLife suite of applications sold independently or included as part of the initial system installation on older Mac platforms. If you do not have a copy, you will need to purchase similar third-party software. Many Mac users use the Roxio "Toast" package but if all you want/need is the DVD authoring app equivalent of iDVD, then you can purchase any of the DVD creation apps available in the AppStore for about $20.

User uploaded file

Feb 24, 2018 2:34 PM in response to Norfolk2

I have made a movie from a Powerpoint Presentation using Quick Time Player. However when I saved the movie to a DVD I cannot play it on my Television.

Was the movie simply "burned" to the DVD as a data file or as an "authored" DVD movie? The former requires a media player app for playback while the latter will play directly from any commercial DVD/BD player.

Sorry! Appears I was too slow in typing my response...

User uploaded file

Feb 24, 2018 2:51 PM in response to Norfolk2

How to add a Powerpoint presentation to iMovie:

http://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-PowerPoint-to-iMovie

Why is there no iDVD on my new Mac? How do I get it and how do I install it?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3673

To burn a DVD with iDVD from the latest version of iMovie, you have to export the movie using the Export button and select 480p as the size. Open iDVD and start a new project, then drag that exported movie file into the iDVD menu window, avoiding any drop zones you see.

If you are using iDVD with El Capitan or Sierra see this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7251191

Feb 25, 2018 6:59 PM in response to Jon Walker

Thank you Jon and all other responders to my question. I now have solved the problem using the "Roxio" Toast app.

My son had actually purchased this app previously and also had a program that converted my Quick Time Movie to an

MP4 file allowing it to be copied to a DVD using Toast. We did this this morning, the presentation now plays on my DVD recorder/player.

Support during this endeavour is much appreciated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.