Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Disk will not boot internally.

I have a Mac mini from 2009 (A1283) that I wanted to upgrade the HDD in. I bought a 1TB Western Digital Black and installed it. When I went to install Mac OS I found that the disk wouldn't show up in Disk Utility. After Trying a few more times I decided to try and use a USB adaptor and format the disk on my iMac, the drive showed up and formatted succesfully. Popped it back into the Mac mini and once again it couldn't see it. I put the drive back into the USB adaptor and connected it to the Mac mini and it was detected with no issue. Installed El Capitan and after updating to the latest version (10.11.6) I put it back into the Mac mini. This time it could see the disk but always fails booting (crossed circle), at some point I decided to try a different disk and used an SSD I had with Yosemite on it. It booted with no issue.

At this point I'm not sure what to do, a fresh HDD that I have since tested with other machines will not work in this Mac mini but an SSD works with not problem.

TLDR: HDD fails to boot with SATA but SSD works fine.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 2009 (A1283)

Posted on Feb 23, 2018 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2018 7:49 PM

The 2009 Mac MIni only has a SATA ll 3G controller and not all SATA lll 6G drives are backwards compatible to 3G. You need to look closely at the WD Black Drive spec's or check with WD, to see if that drive is backwards compatible to SATA ll 3G.

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 23, 2018 8:27 PM in response to johnsowhat

see > How to determine if a WD hard drive is compatible with a computer system or motherboard | WD Support

and > Internal SATA 6.0 Gb/s drives are not detected by some motherboards | WD Support

Both articles seem to deal more with 3.5" drives that allow for jumpers, so you may need to contact WD Support for a clear answer on the 2.5" WD Black that you have.

Hard Disk will not boot internally.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.