Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to pay the repairs for a faulty product?

I’ve had my macbook for around a year and one of the keys broke. I took it in and they said the first step will to be replace the top keys, but if it dosent work they will resort to replacing the top board (I beleive). Should I have to pay for the second step as a laptop shouldnt be a use and throw away product?

Posted on Feb 24, 2018 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2018 2:27 PM

Normally AppleCare warranty will cover the cost either the repair is within one year from the date of purchase

or you bought extended AppleCare warranty.

I would contact Apple Store for relevant information.

For info:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com

Section: Mac

https://www.apple.com/support/products/

2 replies

Feb 25, 2018 2:54 PM in response to timmyfromnewyork

A lot depends on who you take it to. An Apple Store will never charge for an evaluation for repair, whether it's in or out of warranty. In my experience they don't even require payment for fixes that don't require any repair parts.

An Apple Authorized Service Provider may be different. They're free to charge their own labor rates. Quite a few require the customer to agree to payment for a diagnostic, which may be waived (i.e. paid by Apple) if it's determined to be a defect that's covered under warranty. It's not much different than taking a car to a car dealer during the warranty period; many won't even look at a vehicle under warranty unless the customer agrees to pay for the diagnostic if the carmaker won't (when it's covered under warranty). Certainly the AASP program can be valuable for people who can't get to an Apple Store, but for me going to an Apple Store is the preferred way to seek a repair because I know I'm not going to be charged to just figure out what the problem is.

Do I have to pay the repairs for a faulty product?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.