Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two SSD's won't mount - formatted APFS

I have two Samsung 850EVO 1TB SSDs formatted APFS in an external OWC Thunderbolt 2 External Drive Dock. I am running HIgh Sierra on 2013 Mac Pro

The two SSD's have failed to mount, and I cannot repair them. It's not the end of the world, I have backups except for a couple hours I would prefer not to lose. These are media drives for FCPX.

The device shows up in disk utility, the volume is greyed out and disk utility cannot repair. This is what first aid shows:

error: om: invalid o_oid (0x1e88)

Object map is invalid.

Storage system check exit code is 8.

Storage system verify or repair failed.

Operation failed…

My biggest concern is I also have two Project Archive Hard disks, and I have both formatted APFS. I always counted on the odds of a dual simultaneous failure as acceptably low. Now I'm thinking with this problem I should only have one formatted APFS and one formatted Mac OS Extended to be safe. Also thinking of formatting my external SSD's

back to Mac OS Extended.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 1:50 PM

The Samsung “EVO” series SSDs do not enjoy a good reputation among Mac users. Replace it with one that does.

Also thinking of formatting my external SSD's

back to Mac OS Extended.

That’s a very good idea. Leave APFS conversion to the macOS installer’s discretion, which it will perform on all-flash internal startup disks only. Don’t convert anything else on your own.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2018 1:50 PM in response to Tony_HD

The Samsung “EVO” series SSDs do not enjoy a good reputation among Mac users. Replace it with one that does.

Also thinking of formatting my external SSD's

back to Mac OS Extended.

That’s a very good idea. Leave APFS conversion to the macOS installer’s discretion, which it will perform on all-flash internal startup disks only. Don’t convert anything else on your own.

Two SSD's won't mount - formatted APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.