Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb accessory needs power on a MacBook pro

when trying to connect a superdrive (CD player) to my new MacBook that only has USB-C, I get an error message stating USB Accessory Needs Power, Connect "Apple USB SuperDrive" to a USB port on this Mac. Apple doesn't put USB ports on MacBooks now. will some adapters works for this? Mine is a usb/ethernet combo.

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 8:24 PM

Hi,

Probably your adapter doesn't support USB bus power, try to connect via an Apple USB-C to USB adapter which is available at AppleStore.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

2 replies

Feb 26, 2018 7:12 AM in response to razorshaq

razorshaq wrote:

when trying to connect a superdrive (CD player) to my new MacBook that only has USB-C, I get an error message stating USB Accessory Needs Power, Connect "Apple USB SuperDrive" to a USB port on this Mac. Apple doesn't put USB ports on MacBooks now. will some adapters works for this? Mine is a usb/ethernet combo.

A USB-C port is a USB port. A USB SuperDrive will reject using any kind of hub. You need to use some sort of passive USB-C to USB-A adapter or one of two Apple-approved multiport adapters.

Mac computers that can use the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

Something like this should work:

Amazon.com: AUKEY USB C Adapter, [2 Pack] USB C to USB 3.0 Adapter for MacBook Pro, Galaxy S8 S8+ Note8, Google Pixel 2 …

usb accessory needs power on a MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.