Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C to USB adaptor - Apple USB Superdrive

I have connected my Apple USB Superdrive to my MacBook Air via the USB-C to USB adapter and get the message 'USB Accessory Needs Power' and to Connect Apple USB SuperDrive to a USB port on this MAC. While I have done exactly that using the only way possible - so could anyone advise what next?

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 5:24 AM

edfromflemington wrote:

I don't see how this could work - this hub does not seem to have USB-C plug, so how could I connect it to my computer?

?? You say in your topic title you have USBC-USB adapter already. If you get that particular hub you'd plug it into your adapter which is plugged into your computer. Maybe if you shopped around you could find one with a USBC plug that has USB ports. Your Superdrive seems to be asking for more power than the computer can supply, which I find kind of strange since newer USB is also supposed to provide more power, but maybe the adapter does something to control this? By having a powered hub, the drive gets its power from the power source and the connector only has to carry the data signal.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2021 5:24 AM in response to edfromflemington

edfromflemington wrote:

I don't see how this could work - this hub does not seem to have USB-C plug, so how could I connect it to my computer?

?? You say in your topic title you have USBC-USB adapter already. If you get that particular hub you'd plug it into your adapter which is plugged into your computer. Maybe if you shopped around you could find one with a USBC plug that has USB ports. Your Superdrive seems to be asking for more power than the computer can supply, which I find kind of strange since newer USB is also supposed to provide more power, but maybe the adapter does something to control this? By having a powered hub, the drive gets its power from the power source and the connector only has to carry the data signal.

USB-C to USB adaptor - Apple USB Superdrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.