Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High sierra 13.13.3 OS. Problem with thumbnails not showing images, only generic jpg

On my finder, some jpgs refuse to show up as their own image. Only as a generic jpg icon. As I use images to sort my work, I am finding it increasingly difficult to work since upgrading to OS High Sierra.

I've hunted for solutions and done everything people suggest, such as the obvious like checking the icon box in view within finder and photoshop prefs but it is having no effect at all.

I'd upgraded to the 13.13.1 initially and just updated to the 3 to try and see if the bug was fixed.

HELP please apple. I can't work like this. It's like blinding the sighted on purpose. Apple computers are for the visually literate. Sorting by images is how we operate.

iMac

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 5:25 AM

I think this could be a corrupt preference file.

In Finder click on Go in the menubar, now click on Go To Folder type in the following text ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist press Go.

A new Finder window should open up with the file highlighted, move the file to your desktop.

Now restart your Mac, a new finder preference file will be generated. When the Mac has restarted make sure that Show Icon Preview is checked in your Desktop Show View Options panel. If this has worked and now your file icons are being displayed as you wish then you can delete the older preference file from your desktop.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 5:25 AM in response to Mummeister

I think this could be a corrupt preference file.

In Finder click on Go in the menubar, now click on Go To Folder type in the following text ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist press Go.

A new Finder window should open up with the file highlighted, move the file to your desktop.

Now restart your Mac, a new finder preference file will be generated. When the Mac has restarted make sure that Show Icon Preview is checked in your Desktop Show View Options panel. If this has worked and now your file icons are being displayed as you wish then you can delete the older preference file from your desktop.

Feb 28, 2018 5:25 AM in response to Mummeister

Hi, Mummeister,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. After reading your post, I understand that in Finder your .jpg files do not show a thumbnail icon. Instead, it's just a generic icon, which makes accessing the right files quickly difficult. I know it's important for you to be able to work efficiently and would be happy to help!

I see you've already checked to make sure the correct Finder preference was set to view the thumbnail. I would also recommend closing any open apps that you are working with (by pressing Command+Q from within those apps, or selecting the app name next to the Apple  menu and selecting "Quit [App Name]" from the drop down). Then, restart your Mac by selecting the Apple  menu > "Restart..."

If the issue continues after the restart, try booting to safe mode. Safe mode runs some system checks and makes repairs where possible, so it does start up a bit slower than normal. The boot process may very well solve your .jpg thumbnail issue by itself--but I would like you to actually check while in safe mode, then restart normally and check again. You can get more information on safe mode, including how to boot to it, here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support .

Should the issue persist after using safe mode, check to see if it also continues in a new user account. This will help us determine if there may be something specific to your user account that is causing the issue: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support .

Have a great day!

Feb 28, 2018 3:28 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thank you.

I've tried all the checkboxes in each applications preferences.

I've tried safe rebooting.

Just trying the new user method.

I've been testing what does and doesn't make an image thumbnail. They're now not all off. It can now produce image related thumbnails directly from iPhotos, also with a screenshot, but not from within applications when saved as a jpeg, so we're getting nearer to the glitch.

Feb 28, 2018 5:47 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank you everybody. I've done everything you all said. Most icon thumbnails came back except those saved by photoshop. So all your suggestions narrowed down the search.

So scoured the net again. Went into the photoshop preferences, then file handling, and unchecked the icon box and checked the full size box instead, then they came back. Double checked by clicking both, but the generic icon came back. Then triple checked by unchecking the full size and back to just icon. Generic icon again. Went back to full size and the image icon returned.

No idea why checking full size fixed it, because surely icon should be the correct one, but it isn't in this case. Hope that helps someone else having the same problem.

Thank you again everybody. It's so nice having experts to talk to when having a frustrating computer fight. We are not alone here. Have a wonderful life because you just earned another star in it.

High sierra 13.13.3 OS. Problem with thumbnails not showing images, only generic jpg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.