Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

When I'm using Photos program on Mac and looking in the library of photos, how can I tell which album a photo is displayed in? If I have two copies of a photo and want to delete one, how do I know which album that photo will be deleted from?

iMac

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 7:21 AM

If I have two copies of a photo and want to delete one, how do I know which album that photo will be deleted from?

That is a very good question. Photos cannot reveal the album a photo is in.

I am using the work-around to add a keyword with the name of the album to photos, when I add them to an album. This way, I can see in the Info panel in the keyword section the name of the albums, where I added that photo to.

You could use an Apple Script to show a list of albums, for a selected photos - see this user tip: How to find out the albums a photo is in: Jacques Rioux's script

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 7:21 AM in response to jackybushell

If I have two copies of a photo and want to delete one, how do I know which album that photo will be deleted from?

That is a very good question. Photos cannot reveal the album a photo is in.

I am using the work-around to add a keyword with the name of the album to photos, when I add them to an album. This way, I can see in the Info panel in the keyword section the name of the albums, where I added that photo to.

You could use an Apple Script to show a list of albums, for a selected photos - see this user tip: How to find out the albums a photo is in: Jacques Rioux's script

Feb 26, 2018 11:06 AM in response to jackybushell

Basically that is right - if you have 20,000 duplicates in your library you have a mess and it will be long and difficult to resolve - even it the info window showed the albums a photo is in you would still have a mess - you can suggest to Apple that they provide a way to see the albums - Product Feedback - Apple

With PowerPhotosyou can see many photo attributes like date, file name, etc which could be helpful but it does not show albums either

LN

Feb 26, 2018 7:16 AM in response to jackybushell

Placing a photo into an Album doesn't make a copy of it. Think of an Album like a music Playlist. Each photo is in your library once, but you can add it to as many albums as you wish and there is still just one copy of the photo in your library.

There is no way to look at a photo in your library list, or one album, and see which other albums it is located in.

Feb 26, 2018 10:58 AM in response to léonie

But if the photo is in the library twice then when I delete one of the copies it will delete it from the album that it is in and i want to know which album that is so that I can re add it using the first copy. I could add a code to each photo to tell me which album it is in but I'm dealing with about 20,000 photos or me, it will take me years to go back and add a code!

Feb 26, 2018 11:06 AM in response to jackybushell

In that case, you should be able to figure out which album it is in based on the albums right? I mean, your albums aren't just assortments of random photos. So use whatever organizational logic you used to make the albums. For instance, if it is a picture of a flower you took while on a trip to France, then maybe you have it in an album of flower pictures and an album of your trip to France.

Or, you could go into each album, select all of the photos, then assign a keyword to them all, perhaps the same as the name of the album. Do that for each album you suspect the photo to be in. Then look at the photo in your library and see which keywords are applied to it.

Feb 26, 2018 12:18 PM in response to jackybushell

I could add a code to each photo to tell me which album it is in but I'm dealing with about 20,000 photos or me, it will take me years to go back and add a code!

Not really. Open each album in turn, select all photos in each album with ⌘A, then open the info panel with ⌘I and type the album name as a keyword into the info panel for the album. It may take a few hours, if you have many albums, but then it is done.

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.