Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote transitions

I'm doing a presentation which for various reasons will have to be projected from a PC. I've given up on the idea of exporting to .ppt or .pptx as the transitions are so vile and there will be no one at the venue to change them.

However I discovered that when I did try it in PowerPoint is would make the transition and then there would be a white 'flash', which I don't get when I do a run through on my Mac or iPad.

To deal with the transition issue I have decided to use pdfs which I don't think the venue can mess up, but I am still getting the flashes in the pdfs, despite all effects being off in Keynote.

My settings are attached, any ideas?

Cheers,

Colin

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 9:42 AM

There a number of issues with Keynote in High Sierra, including the flash frame problem in export. I no longer use High Sierra at all for this reason. The workarounds are to use a version of Keynote prior to 7.3, not using HighSierra, not using effects that are known to cause issues.

When we want reliable playback with presentations destined for Windows systems, we use PowerPoint or Libra Office to create and test the effects in presentations.

As to exporting to PDF, the recipient can choose a variety of applications that can play PDF files (image viewers, web browsers, ovther PDF creation tools) all of these have preferences that can be changed to influence playback.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 9:42 AM in response to Colin Cohen

There a number of issues with Keynote in High Sierra, including the flash frame problem in export. I no longer use High Sierra at all for this reason. The workarounds are to use a version of Keynote prior to 7.3, not using HighSierra, not using effects that are known to cause issues.

When we want reliable playback with presentations destined for Windows systems, we use PowerPoint or Libra Office to create and test the effects in presentations.

As to exporting to PDF, the recipient can choose a variety of applications that can play PDF files (image viewers, web browsers, ovther PDF creation tools) all of these have preferences that can be changed to influence playback.

Feb 27, 2018 10:15 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks Garry, it is good to know it is not just me and finger trouble as I only do a presentation every year or so.

I've just checked my wife's iMac and amazingly she is still on El Capitan and with Keynote 6.6.2. Rather than teach myself 'LO' and transfer a nearly complete show to it I tried it on her machine with both the current Keynote and having exported it as '09' and then converted it to pdf.

Both still gave the flash, and I now realise that it is almost all, but not all, the slides that flash although all are shown as having no transitions.

I have also tried to save to pdf from my iPad and I get the same flash.

Any sign of it being fixed? Alternatively, might I give someone a link to the file so they could look? I'm starting to worry as I need it to be working in ten days!

Cheers, Colin

Feb 28, 2018 2:29 AM in response to Colin Cohen

I use Keynote 7.3.1 in Sierra, I do not have flash frames in any presentation or when exported to Powerpoint, PDF or Quicktime. It looking like a High Sierra issue, so transferring a Keynote file created in High Sierra to a different Mac OS will still have the flash frame present.

Im happy to look at a sample file, if you can post it on a file transfer service.

Apple do not acknowledge faults with their software products until it is fixed.

Keynote transitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.