Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Problems with Speak Selection/Text-to-Speech for Kindle App

I am trying to use Speak-selection/text-to-speech on my Kindle app and when the reading gets to a turn of a page it skips to the last paragraph of the next page. I have to specifically swipe down on every single page for it to read the whole page. Yet, up until a few days ago (I don't remember changing anything), the TTS feature would read continuously while flipping each page appropriately until I stopped it. It is doing this on any given book on my Kindle apps for both my iPhone 6 and my iPad mini 4. I do most of my reading for school this way as I am a very slow reader and have attention problems. I have already tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. I've also updated the software on both devices. I can resort to VoiceOver for the meantime but it is very difficult to navigate and is not a method that is easily turned on and off in order to switch apps. Please Help!

Daniel

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Feb 27, 2018 5:09 AM in response to Stacidm In response to Stacidm

I was on the phone with Apple support for a while last night. After sharing that this issue happened on my iphone, my ipad, AND my wife's iphone, and also that books in iBooks worked just fine, we narrowed it down to a Kindle app problem. Haven't contacted the developers of the app yet but will soon. Let me know if y'all find out the solution before me! Thanks!

Feb 27, 2018 5:09 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 27, 2018 6:38 AM in response to danadamwill In response to danadamwill

I tried troubleshooting with Kindle support with no resolution (chat and voice call). The tech said he would note it for correction in the next revision... The revision that I am having issue with is 6.4. As info version 6.1 that is currently on an older device seems to work fine.

Feb 27, 2018 6:38 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 27, 2018 1:45 PM in response to danadamwill In response to danadamwill

I’m pretty sure this is a problem with the latest Amazon app update and not Apple. My mobi files work just fine with the text-o-speech feature, but the AMZ3 files are the ones that skip paragraphs/pages. I’m looking to see if there are any threads on this problem over at Amazon.

Feb 27, 2018 1:45 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 3, 2018 2:53 PM in response to Michael12000 In response to Michael12000

Senior tech at Amazon/Kindle assured me that Apple has made it incompatible to read Kindle books without issues. Likely this is Apple’s attempt to get people to purchase iBooks products which work fine with text to speech.

Mar 3, 2018 2:53 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 4:41 AM in response to KLstrand In response to KLstrand

Senior tech at Amazon/Kindle assured me that Apple has made it incompatible to read Kindle books without issues. Likely this is Apple’s attempt to get people to purchase iBooks products which work fine with text to speech.

Mar 5, 2018 4:41 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 4:46 AM in response to Stacidm In response to Stacidm

Kindle Sr. tech assures me it was not Kindle that changed. With a recent update, Apple seems to be steering people from Kindle to iBooks where text to speech works fine. Ask Kindle. Apple techs will try to make it work for you. It seems Apple didn't tell their techs that they broke the s/w.

Mar 5, 2018 4:46 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 1:04 PM in response to Michael12000 In response to Michael12000

This makes no sense when you think about it. If Apple wanted you to buy differently why not stop the service altogether? On the surface maybe they would get a few people to purchase iBook products, but doing a crappy job at something doesn't inspire me to buy something else from a company. In fact, I would definitely go somewhere else, especially if I thought I was being manipulated. I believe they said it, I just don't believe it's true.

Mar 5, 2018 1:04 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: danadamwill

Question: Problems with Speak Selection/Text-to-Speech for Kindle App