Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Speak Selection/Text-to-Speech for Kindle App

I am trying to use Speak-selection/text-to-speech on my Kindle app and when the reading gets to a turn of a page it skips to the last paragraph of the next page. I have to specifically swipe down on every single page for it to read the whole page. Yet, up until a few days ago (I don't remember changing anything), the TTS feature would read continuously while flipping each page appropriately until I stopped it. It is doing this on any given book on my Kindle apps for both my iPhone 6 and my iPad mini 4. I do most of my reading for school this way as I am a very slow reader and have attention problems. I have already tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. I've also updated the software on both devices. I can resort to VoiceOver for the meantime but it is very difficult to navigate and is not a method that is easily turned on and off in order to switch apps. Please Help!

Daniel

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 3:50 PM

Similar questions

36 replies

Feb 27, 2018 5:09 AM in response to Stacidm

I was on the phone with Apple support for a while last night. After sharing that this issue happened on my iphone, my ipad, AND my wife's iphone, and also that books in iBooks worked just fine, we narrowed it down to a Kindle app problem. Haven't contacted the developers of the app yet but will soon. Let me know if y'all find out the solution before me! Thanks!

Mar 5, 2018 1:04 PM in response to Michael12000

This makes no sense when you think about it. If Apple wanted you to buy differently why not stop the service altogether? On the surface maybe they would get a few people to purchase iBook products, but doing a crappy job at something doesn't inspire me to buy something else from a company. In fact, I would definitely go somewhere else, especially if I thought I was being manipulated. I believe they said it, I just don't believe it's true.

Mar 9, 2018 7:14 PM in response to danadamwill

I have also had the same problem with both ibooks and kindle. At first, I thought it the problem was just with the Kindle app, but after testing with an ibooks pdf, it seems the problem is more widespread. I'm not sure how this problem can be fixed (app side or text-to-speech side) but I hope this issue is resolved soon! I have books to read! 😟

Mar 10, 2018 9:43 PM in response to danadamwill

I just noticed the same problem. I use a combination of the "Speak Selection" command in Siri with Kindle on my phone while I read simultaneously on my 55" plasma. It doubles my retention of the material.

Anyway, when "Speak Selection" started skipping after the last update (don't know if if was the IOS or Kindle update that did it), I had to resort to different means.

I to to Settings: General: Accessibility and set up Voice Over for voice and speed. Then I go to where I want to begin reading in Kindle. From there I give Siri the command "Turn Voice Over On," followed by the command "Open Kindle." From there, a double finger swipe down and I'm listening to my book with no skipping. Sometimes it stops on a picture, but all I have to do is reswipe. I prefer "Speak Selection" because of its mini control panel, but this will do for now.

Problems with Speak Selection/Text-to-Speech for Kindle App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.