Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to set up Groups in Contacts

Unable to set up Groups in Contacts. After I add names/email addresses to the new Group I am unable to send a message to the members of the new Group.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 2:25 PM

16 replies

Mar 5, 2018 10:30 PM in response to Bill Dorgan

When you create a group say ABC in address book under web mail account ( like google ) .

Some conditions are to be met the user must have signed with Apple ID in system preferences in iCloud section and Apple ID is kept same as web mail id ( could be gmail or any ) , the boxes in internet accounts are checked ie .both for iCloud and web mail account ( like notes , contacts , mails etc ) , only back to my Mac is unchecked .

If a group is created like ABC , the contacts details must be filled up ( the persons correct mail address , phone no , street address etc ) .

In the screen shot , when mail preferences is opened in composing if you uncheck the box of when sending to a group show all members address .

And you right click on the group ( ABC ) and click on send mail to ABC a compose window opens and in the two field ABC is shown .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If you want that mail address of the person to be shown in the process , just check the box of when sending to a group , show all member address .You can click on drop down arrow in the To field for verification .

User uploaded file

Mar 6, 2018 5:15 PM in response to Bill Dorgan

If you don't want to type manually the mail addresses each time and send a mail to groups , you can create a new smart mail group .

Click on file on top menu bar > again click on new smart mail group .You can use drop down arrows and

Select the criteria as card is member of ABC .And click on ok .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

You can edit it and rename the smart group also , Note : you can't send mail to smart group .

Feb 27, 2018 3:26 PM in response to Bill Dorgan

Hey there, Bill,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that you're trying to email a Contact Group, but are having trouble doing so. I can definitely see the importance of being able to send a group email and would be happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would recommend reviewing the steps to sending a group email here: Email a group of contacts on Mac - Apple Support .

If that does not address your issue, don't hesitate to reach back out. If you do, please include some additional information about your issue, such as what happens when you try to send a group email (for example, do you get any error messages?).

Cheers.

Mar 6, 2018 2:22 PM in response to Bill Dorgan

Thanks everyone for the help.

My problem is not with the process of sending Group email in Mac Mail.

I know how to do that.

My problem is this:

• I have been unable to send Group mail since downloading High Sierra.
  • I know how to create a Group
  • I know how to attach email addresses to the Group.
  • I know how to send email to a Group.

The change since I downloaded High Sierra is this:

1. I will create a Group and populate it with addresses.
  2. I will create an email to the Group.
  3. The name of the Group appears in Send to: in Mac Mail.
  4. But there are no addresses in the Group.
  5. There are no addresses in Send to: except the name of the Group.
  6. I don't want to type in addresses individually.
  7. I want to send mail to the Group.
  8. What's wrong?

Mar 5, 2018 6:36 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brendan:

Thanks for your reply.

I know how to create and send email from a Group in Contacts.

My problem is this:

1. I create a Group, let's call it ABC

2. I create an email to send ABC.

3. When Mail opens the name ABC is in Send to:

4. But no email addresses are there, just the name ABC.

5. Sounds like a Contacts technical issue.

6. Advice?

Bill

Mar 6, 2018 10:18 PM in response to Bill Dorgan

Please post a screen shot of address book , hide personal info .

What mail services do you use , generally it works as previously posted

Apple ID address = gmail address ( both are kept as same )

And in iCloud account the Mac user must be signed in with Apple ID .

And a query some , apps , softwares , cleaners , anti virus could be installed in Mac .

Use https://etrecheck.com/

And post the results , either you have not configured the address book both in iCloud server and web mail server properly or this is a system wide issue and some apps , cleaners had corrupted the address book application .

Unable to set up Groups in Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.