Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10 device capable of streaming to HomePod using AirPlay?

I'm interested in buying HomePod. But I couldn't find an answer to this question yet.

I understand HomePod only works with iOS 11 devices which automatically rules out iPhone 5 and older models. I have a last year's iPad Pro I can use for the initial setup of HomePod. But after that, I want to use my old iPhone 5 running on iOS 10 to stream mp3 files stored there to HomePod. Is this basically possible?

I also have AppleTV and I can AirPlay anything to AppleTV from my old iPhone 5. But since I don't have HomePod yet, I can't test this.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 9:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 8:49 AM

I'm not at home for a definitive test, but HomePod - Technical Specifications says that setup requirements are an iOS device running iOS 11.2.5 or better. There is a footnote to the Direct Guest Access entry that states:

Peer-to-peer AirPlay requires a Mac (2012 or later) with OS X Yosemite or later, or an iOS device (late 2012 or later) with iOS 8 or later.

So one would expect any device that matches that description to be able to use HomePod as an AirPlay target.

tt2

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 8:49 AM in response to eundong

I'm not at home for a definitive test, but HomePod - Technical Specifications says that setup requirements are an iOS device running iOS 11.2.5 or better. There is a footnote to the Direct Guest Access entry that states:

Peer-to-peer AirPlay requires a Mac (2012 or later) with OS X Yosemite or later, or an iOS device (late 2012 or later) with iOS 8 or later.

So one would expect any device that matches that description to be able to use HomePod as an AirPlay target.

tt2

iOS 10 device capable of streaming to HomePod using AirPlay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.