Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tranfer problems

I have a bunch of songs that I'm trying to upload to my ipod that I've ripped off some CDs. Putting them into itunes is no problem, they group together perfectly. When I try to upload them to my ipod, they come up as single songs in separate album threads even though all the information is there to have them grouped by album. Marking them as part of a compilation only works with a few of them leaving the others floating in the void. When I try to transfer songs into a playlist the playlist populates but the songs do not. I have edited the tags in both Itunes and on my computer itself. All software is up to date as much as it can be with running my Ipod touch. I've been trying for a week. Help. Me.

Running IOS 9. something on my ipod.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 6:49 AM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2018 9:10 AM in response to Phoenix1592

First of all, a compilation album is (as far as iTunes is concerned) an album with each song performed by a different artist, in other words, various artists appear on the album. A Greatest Hits Of... album, by one artist is not a compilation album (as far as iTunes is concerned).

Although iTunes may recognise a compilation album correctly, not all models of iPod do so unless the songs all have the correct information in their tags.

Once you have the album imported into iTunes, you need to edit the tags for each song on the album. Providing the album name is correct (for each track), you already have the songs grouped as an album, so highlight all the songs and select the Edit/Song Info (or possibly Edit/Get Info). Look at the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

A suitable view to use is the Songs view (as above), but once you have all the tracks on the album selected, you need to ensure that the field named album artist has "Various Artists" in it, as highlighted in (4.) above. (Make sure you do this in the album artist field, not the artist field. The artist field will state "mixed".

Notice also, the field a bit further down, named compilation. That tick box needs to be on as well. It should already be selected as a result of the import from CD. If not, turn it on now. Then - and only then - Sync these changes to your iPod. That should sort out the problem. (If you make these changes while your iPod is connected to iTunes, you definitely need to click the Sync button after the changes have been made, because the Sync-upon-connect will have already finished by the time you make your amendments.)

The compilation box gets turned on as you import from the CD. You can check that it is on by selecting the CD Info button and looking at the compilation flag.

User uploaded file

AND

User uploaded file

and it's this flag that places a compilation album in the compilations folder on your computer.

Tranfer problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.