Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iMovie files to an External Hard Drive

I am trying to move my iMovie files to an external drive, and an Apple support doc says to move the file called "iMovie Library." But I find no such file. I see iMovie Events, iMovie Original Movies, and iMovie Projects. Is there no file containing all three entitled "iMovie Library?"

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 2:38 PM

The iMovie Library folder should be in your Movies folder. When you open Finder the Movies folder will be in the side bar. If it's not there, click on your desktop to get into Finder. Then click on Go/Home. The Movies folder will be in there.

-- Rich

8 replies

Feb 27, 2018 2:41 PM in response to Rich839

Yes, there is definitely a "Movies" folder. But the Apple support doc refers to the "iMovie Library" folder. I glean from your response that they are one and the same. Correct?

If so, WHY ON EARTH does the Apple support doc refer to the folder using a nomenclature that does correspond perfectly to the file name being discussed? It is a HUGE breach of a fundamental tenet of technical writing, and a terrible waste of users' time.

Thanks to you for doing the work that the technical writers at Apple were either too feckless, overworked, understaffed, or under skilled to do.

Feb 27, 2018 3:27 PM in response to bodysurfer

Are you using iMovie 11(version 9.09)? From your description of your files I believe that is the case. The iMovie Library bundle/Folder is only used by iMovie 10.x.x. It is located in your Movies folder and its name is iMovie Library. iMovie 11 uses two folders named iMovie Projects and iMovie Events which is what you said you have. They are normally also in your Movies folder. You can move them to your External Drive formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled. Simply drag them to the root level of your EHD and iMovie will find them.

Feb 28, 2018 5:54 AM in response to bodysurfer

I was assuming that you are using iMovie 10.x.x, because you were talking about moving the iMovie Library. iMovie 9 does't have a library, however, so Jim may be right that you are using iMovie 9. If so, follow the directions in his post and you should be good to go.

As an aside, if you post in the future be sure to state the iMovie version and rhe operating system you are using.

-- Rich

Feb 28, 2018 6:03 AM in response to Jim Wanamaker

I am indeed using iMovie 9, the version that came with my mini when I bought it in 2015. I am using OS 10.13.3. I appreciate your respective replies very much. Because the Apple support doc does NOT indicate which version of iMovie it applies to, I had no idea that the nomenclature changed from one version to the other.

Jim, when you say that I should drag them (iMovie Projects and iMovie Events) to the root level of the EHD, does that mean that I should NOT drag the folder Movies in which they reside?

The Apple support doc also says that once this procedure is complete, if I want to work with the EHD as the regular location for my iMovie files, I should then "drag the original file in your Movies folder on your Mac to the Trash." To translate for my version, I should then drag the Movies folder or the two folders iMovie Projects and iMovie Events?

Thanks again for your perseverance.

Feb 28, 2018 6:06 AM in response to Jim Wanamaker

I am indeed using iMovie 9, the version that came with my mini when I bought it in 2015. I am using OS 10.13.3. I appreciate your respective replies very much. Because the Apple support doc does NOT indicate which version of iMovie it applies to, I had no idea that the nomenclature changed from one version to the other.

Jim, when you say that I should drag them (iMovie Projects and iMovie Events) to the root level of the EHD, does that mean that I should NOT drag the folder Movies in which they reside?

The Apple support doc also says that once this procedure is complete, if I want to work with the EHD as the regular location for my iMovie files, I should then "drag the original file in your Movies folder on your Mac to the Trash." To translate for my version, I should then drag the Movies folder or the two folders iMovie Projects and iMovie Events?

Thanks again for your perseverance. I am trying to mark your replies as "helpful" but that option seems greyed out ...

Feb 28, 2018 5:19 PM in response to bodysurfer

Yes that is correct.Move only the iMovie projects and Events folders. Leave the Movies folder in your home folder where it is. After you have copied the iMovie projects and Events folders to the EHD then move the copies in the Movies Folder to the trash but don't empty the trash until you open iMovie and confirm it is seeing your projects and events on the EHD. In no case move/delete the Movies Folder.

Moving iMovie files to an External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.